What's new

External monitor issues

gotaflat

hello

I am really enjoying my Surface pro, however I am encountering an issue when utilising an external display via the USB3 connection.

I am utilising a Toshiba Dynadock with it a Asus VH-23h monitor (DVI) and I extend the display over the Surface Pro and the external monitor... All good, however when I am typing quickly, cutting and pasting, or as it seems mostly, belting away in excel, the external screen goes out of focus....I.e blurry for a few seconds - some time longer. Once the calculation is done or I move from the cell with formula in it the monitor comes back into focus... I have also noticed this when I scroll or move back and forth quickly in the spread sheet......its very annoying!

Anyway, I tried the monitor through USB display adapter...and the same thing... I guess the next step is to try the min display port?

Anyway, its really annoying me on what should be a great set up with the USB 3 hub. in which I was about to go and get a second monitor..

Any thoughts on this, is any one having similar issues? I am slightly worried there is an issue with hardware like the CPU graphics. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

tonyz3

I have 2 ext monitors and tried a few dff set ups with docs and the only way to avoid the issues you have will be using the DP

Nuspieds

I have two Dell 30" externals; one connected via DP and the other via USB 3 adapter from StarTech.

Absolutely no issues whatsoever.

tonyz3

I have two Dell 30" externals; one connected via DP and the other via USB 3 adapter from StarTech.

Absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Nus i have the same set up but mine are both touch. Try unplugging the dp and running them and see if you have those issues. I find unless i at least have the dp plugged into one i get the above issues. But when i plug one into dp the issues go away.

Nuspieds

Nus i have the same set up but mine are both touch. Try unplugging the dp and running them and see if you have those issues. I find unless i at least have the dp plugged into one i get the above issues. But when i plug one into dp the issues go away.
You mean unplugging the DP monitor and connecting it to a USB3 port so that both are connected via USB3?

If so, I don't have another adapter; however, it wouldn't surprise me to then experience lag or other display issues if both were sharing the USB. But is that the setup you want me to test? Or just the USB only for one monitor?

Last edited:

tonyz3

I was just more curious if you got those results with any combo without the dp. Gotaflat i think you should try the dp,

OP
G

gotaflat

thanks for your responses.

Nuspieds, I am interested to see that your not having issues with 2 x 30' dells (abet one via USB and one via DP). I cant replicate your situation at the moment as I only have one monitor handy, will get a second or even a third if the Surface pro can run them. Will try when I get home as I have 3 monitors on a desktop PC I can plug in.

I have now tried the external monitor via the mini Display Port and HDMI cable (DP to HDMI Adapter) - and there are no problems/lag etc.

I will try:
- 2 monitors when I get the chance 2x USB dock
- 2 monitors 1 x the USB dock and 1 x via the DP
- 3 monitors 2 x the USB dock and 1 x via the DP (or am I pushing the bounds of hardware reality?

My plan was always to run 2-3 monitors (2 external and the Surface Pro screen), but also potentially 3 externals (2 via USB dock and one via DP)

Little bit disappointed as I really want the all cables & monitor(s) included through the USB 3 Dock, but will see what happens with the tests...
- on a side note it would be great if the Surface Pro would take a trickle charge through the Dock as well!??.

Cheers

JimmyDean

Anyone using 2 monitors + a large screen TV set-up? Wanting to do this configuration. Will the Surface Pro support this?

Nuspieds

thanks for your responses.

Nuspieds, I am interested to see that your not having issues with 2 x 30' dells (abet one via USB and one via DP). I cant replicate your situation at the moment as I only have one monitor handy, will get a second or even a third if the Surface pro can run them. Will try when I get home as I have 3 monitors on a desktop PC I can plug in.

I have now tried the external monitor via the mini Display Port and HDMI cable (DP to HDMI Adapter) - and there are no problems/lag etc.

I will try:
- 2 monitors when I get the chance 2x USB dock
- 2 monitors 1 x the USB dock and 1 x via the DP
- 3 monitors 2 x the USB dock and 1 x via the DP (or am I pushing the bounds of hardware reality?

My plan was always to run 2-3 monitors (2 external and the Surface Pro screen), but also potentially 3 externals (2 via USB dock and one via DP)

Little bit disappointed as I really want the all cables & monitor(s) included through the USB 3 Dock, but will see what happens with the tests...
- on a side note it would be great if the Surface Pro would take a trickle charge through the Dock as well!??.

Cheers
Wow! That's quite ambitious! So please report back with your results.

I'm sure 1xUSB + 1xDP will be fine, just like my setup, but 2xUSB? I'm thinking that's when you'll see the lag because video is constant and to have both data streams sharing that same pipe is definitely increasingly the likelihood of a clog.

But, anyway, I'm certainly not an expert and that's just my guess, so I'm equally curious to see how your tests turn out.