What's new

external monitor only works with clipboard detached

rfway

I bought a new uhd monitor, and my surface book wont detect the monitor while tablet/clipboard is attached to keyboard base. If I remove the clipboard from keyboard base and connect the surface dock cable on the tablet itself, it works. I also tried connecting monitor directly to surface book lightning port, and it didnt work. Tried the same thing with macbook pro, and it does work there. Any suggestions?

Niterider4

I would first try a different brand of cable. Sometimes connections can be fussy about the cable used.

What happens if you connect the monitor to the tablet and then reattach the tablet while the SB and monitor are both on? If the monitor disconnects, then it's probably something happening when the SB changes from tablet mode.

OP
R

rfway

I would first try a different brand of cable. Sometimes connections can be fussy about the cable used.

What happens if you connect the monitor to the tablet and then reattach the tablet while the SB and monitor are both on? If the monitor disconnects, then it's probably something happening when the SB changes from tablet mode.
the only way to connect a monitor to the tablet is via a cable from a surface dock and it connects on the bottom, which makes it impossible to connect back to the base, as it would block a connection. Also tried a new cable, but to no good effect. Thanks for your suggestions.

Niterider4

Try this: When the screen is attached, go into Settings, Tablet Mode. See if your SB is set to switch automatically to Tablet Mode when the screen is detached. Try different settings, to see if you can get the SB to avoid switching to Tablet Mode when the screen is detached.

If that changes the behaviour of your monitor, then I would suspect your problem is related to the SB switching into Tablet Mode when the screen is detached.

It's a long shot, but worth a try.

OP
R

rfway

Try this: When the screen is attached, go into Settings, Tablet Mode. See if your SB is set to switch automatically to Tablet Mode when the screen is detached. Try different settings, to see if you can get the SB to avoid switching to Tablet Mode when the screen is detached.

If that changes the behaviour of your monitor, then I would suspect your problem is related to the SB switching into Tablet Mode when the screen is detached.

It's a long shot, but worth a try.
Gave that a try but no luck. I have since done a factory reset, but it still doesnt work properly. I have simply been attaching the external monitor to the tablet removed from the surface base until I can find a better solution.

Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can you give us more information - which model Surface Book do have? Is it fully updated? Does other Monitors work if attached to Keyboard and Dock?

What it points to for me is that the Intel drivers for the GMA 520 are working correctly but the NVIDIA drivers are not working as expected - but that assumes you are using dGPU Model and that other monitors/peripherals are functioning as expected and only this monitor is not working.

If the above assumption is false, then there is something wrong with the keyboard base.