What's new

External Monitor Resolutions Supported By SP 2

GoodBytes

Will the Surface Pro 2 support an external Monitor with a 2560 x 1440 Resolution?
Surface Pro 2 can output up to 4K (3840 x 2160), @ 60Hz @ 8-bit colors per channel, thanks to DisplayPort 1.2 connector on the device.

All you need to do, in your case, is to buy a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable and connect that to your computer (or mini-DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort if the monitor has mini-DisplayPort, of course)
If your monitor does not have DisplayPort nor the mini version, then I am afraid you can't. Well you CAN, but it requires cashing about 100$ for an active converter from mini-DisplayPort to dual link DVI.

OP
J

jackh

Surface Pro 2 can output up to 4K (3840 x 2160), @ 60Hz @ 8-bit colors per channel, thanks to DisplayPort 1.2 connector on the device.

All you need to do, in your case, is to buy a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable and connect that to your computer (or mini-DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort if the monitor has mini-DisplayPort, of course)
If your monitor does not have DisplayPort nor the mini version, then I am afraid you can't. Well you CAN, but it requires cashing about 100$ for an active converter from mini-DisplayPort to dual link DVI.

Thank You--

Jack

nupe494

Tried searching for this without success but does anyone know what the highest resolution the SP2 Pro will support through the mini-Display to VGA adapter? I ask because the highest I can select for a monitor that has a native resolution of 1920x1200 is 1680X1050. I don't believe I had this limitation when I had my ASUS EEE connected to the same monitor running Win7. I've tried everything I know of to get the correct resolution without success.

nupe494

What is the max resolution I can expect using the VGA adapter? If it can support 1920x1200, what could be the reason that it is limiting the display resolution to only 1680x1050 when it is the sole output (not using cloned or dual display settings)?

GoodBytes

VGA doesn't have a max resolution.
Higher the resolution, the lower the image quality will be (colors, clarity, and sharpness).
However, the DisplayPort to VGA converter circuit/processor in the adapter can be limited. A factor for this, is probably because it was designed for aged old projectors or CRT monitors, and ultra budget monitors.
VGA is a standard that is dead, and soon to be officially no longer supported by any graphics card manufacture.

I would strongly suggest to get a monitor with DisplayPort or DVI for the best image quality.
Use HDMI if you have no choice.

Last edited:

nupe494

VGA doesn't have a max resolution.
Higher the resolution, the lower the image quality will be (colors, clarity, and sharpness).
However, the DisplayPort to VGA converter circuit/processor in the adapter can be limited. A factor for this, is probably because it was designed for aged old projectors or CRT monitors, and ultra budget monitors.
VGA is a standard that is dead, and soon to be officially no longer supported by any graphics card manufacture.

I would strongly suggest to get a monitor with DisplayPort or DVI for the best image quality.
Use HDMI if you have no choice.

The monitor I'm using has both a VGA and DVI input. Prior to the purchase of my SP2, I was using an ASUS EEE and had no issues with setting the resolution to the monitors native display when connected via its VGA input. I have two PCs connected to this monitor and why one must be on the VGA port. I purchased the MS display port to VGA adapter expecting not to have any issues but it seems limited for whatever reason that I cannot determine.

GoodBytes

The monitor I'm using has both a VGA and DVI input. Prior to the purchase of my SP2, I was using an ASUS EEE and had no issues with setting the resolution to the monitors native display when connected via its VGA input. I have two PCs connected to this monitor and why one must be on the VGA port. I purchased the MS display port to VGA adapter expecting not to have any issues but it seems limited for whatever reason that I cannot determine.

The DisplayPort to VGA converter circuit/processor in the adapter can be limited. A factor for this, is probably because it was designed for aged old projectors or CRT monitors, and ultra budget monitors.
DisplayPort does not output analogue signal. The adapter has a circuit to convert it digital signal to analogue.