What's new

External SSD

Orlbuckeye

I would be very cognizant of how hot that little guy gets. I had a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB mSATA that I put in a small enclosure that, while being only the size of a pack of bubble gum and very small, got incredibly hot with anything more than a couple of minutes of file I/O and constantly overheated. Ended up selling it later and went with a 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim.

I have a Samsung MSATA 840 1 TB in my Alienware and it doesn't cause me any problems. A SSD shouldn't get hot and are a reason contributing to lower temperatures in laptops.

Seneleron

It's incorrect to say the USB ports are even slightly underpowered as they provide the standard amount of power specified by the ISB spec and there are a number of potable drives which will work on the standard 900ma of power. Unfortunately it was common for manufacturers of USB equipment to exceed the standard power requirements. Blame the power hogs.

Relatively under powered, then? TY for the info though... I didn't know this ☺

kiomon

I have a 1TB Samsung T3 and I love it! It does heat up a bit, but I get about 450 MB/s Reads and Writes. I use it to edit video and other media tasks. I have only had it a couple weeks, but I like it thus far. The Surfacebook has no issue powering it. The only downside is that it does get a little hot under sustained loads. I moved 500GB off it and it was warm to touch. But in regular video editing, its been fine. Any other questions, let me know.

I have a 1TB Samsung T3 and I love it! It does heat up a bit, but I get about 450 MB/s Reads and Writes. I use it to edit video and other media tasks. I have only had it a couple weeks, but I like it thus far. The Surfacebook has no issue powering it. The only downside is that it does get a little hot under sustained loads. I moved 500GB off it and it was warm to touch. But in regular video editing, its been fine. Any other questions, let me know.

What enclosure do you have it in?

Orlbuckeye

OP said he was going to use it for external storage so that means an enclosure.

I was commenting on your post. I was just explaining what happened with me. The enclosure shouldn't have anything to do with the heat. I replaced the MSATA 256 SSD with the Samsung and moved it to an external case ( a cheap one and I don't have any heat issues).