What's new

External USB WiFi with Roaming option suggestions?

awwshoot

We have 21 SP4s and 5 APs that feed them Wireless. Problem is there is no Roaming Aggressiveness setting for the built in Marvel WiFi so the SP4s stay connected to a an AP even when it is down the haul from the user and they are currently standing underneath another. This in turn I beleive is partly causing some EHR issues due to the lower signal strength.

So those of you who have moved to an External USB WiFi adapters, which brands have treated you well?

I contacted ASUS chat about their USB-AC53 adapter and they said it does not have roaming aggressiveness but also told me they didn't show which chipset the adapter used.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm doubting the roaming aggressiveness setting is available but I had issues with aggressive disconnecting in 1703 so I moved to an EDIMAX USB (EW-7822ULC) adapter and the only time I have a minor issue with it is sometimes after sleep it is not connected and in those cases it might take a couple seconds to reconnect. Occasionally I'll see it switch access points. My network has two separate access points on different routers, this too only takes a few seconds and the only affect I notice is an occasional (not every time) page not found or not responding but it usually recovers on its own if you wait for it.

I woulda gave you a link to it on Amazon but every time I copied the link Edge crashed. :)

Edit
https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Adapter-Supports-MU-MIMO-EW-7822ULC/dp/B01MY7PL10/

This 1709 release has a bug or two. ;)

Last edited:
OP
A

awwshoot

Any chance you mind checking Device Manager, Edimax wifi adapter properties and if there is a Roaming Aggressiveness option in the Advanced tab? I was looking at those EDIMAX also so this would help. :) Figured I would try 2 and go from there.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any chance you mind checking Device Manager, Edimax wifi adapter properties and if there is a Roaming Aggressiveness option in the Advanced tab? I was looking at those EDIMAX also so this would help. :) Figured I would try 2 and go from there.
Well now that I've rebooted I can get there... Another bug in the soup...

No Roaming Aggressiveness but there are EnableAdaptivity, HLDiffForAdaptivity, & L2HForAdaptivity settings but I'm not sure what they do.

IDK if that can be added via Regedit.

Last edited:
OP
A

awwshoot

Booo hiss!!! LOL What is up with no Roaming Aggressiveness lately?

Updated to 1709 on my SP4 and so far zero issues once you change back the keyboard to standard keyboard. Interesting how MS doesn't thing the "Standard" keyboard should be, well, standard? They keep pushing the other one that can be a PITA for those who enter Alpha and Numeric characters all day long!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Booo hiss!!! LOL What is up with no Roaming Aggressiveness lately?

Updated to 1709 on my SP4 and so far zero issues once you change back the keyboard to standard keyboard. Interesting how MS doesn't thing the "Standard" keyboard should be, well, standard? They keep pushing the other one that can be a PITA for those who enter Alpha and Numeric characters all day long!
I guess Aggressivness is being deprecated... Probably a politically correctness move. ;)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Further... It appears that "Roaming Aggressivness" is an Intel chipset setting. It's possible others don't have it or they call it something else.