What's new

Extra 4th position on kickstand.

Johnny365

It may just be the hinge coming off and free-holding. Kind of like when you over-extend your joint and it comes out of the socket. Can't imagine it being good for continued use.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your car has an extra driver position too... when the airbag deploys... but I don't recommend using it on a regular basis. o_O

kodos

That looks painful - and like abuse. Remember, Microsoft only advertises it as a 3 position kickstand. If your kickstand fails after being overextended, don't expect any sympathy from them. Regardless of what the guys at the Microsoft store tell you.

dajogejr

I tried this twice. Once on the store display model, once on the one I took home.
That's all I had to do to say that'll never happen again.
Just because you can run your fingernails across a chalk board doesn't mean it's a grand idea... yikes.

irogos

yeah, and the new Surface 3 has a bendable screen too! All it takes is enough force and it will bend

inmnbob

I really like the position for taking notes. I wonder how bad this is. It really sounds bad when I tried it.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The "fourth position" is a fail safe for one of the target audiences (students) and is by design, try it on a SP3 and the kickstand is broken but not on the S3...we did it about 200-300 times a day in the booth at Ignite last week.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just tried it on mine (first thing i did when i got it out of the box) and it gave a scary enough cracking sound that i will most certainly not be doing it again out of choice :D