What's new

Facial recognition acknowledges me but no longer loging me in.

awwshoot

Hello,

I have been working with a bunch of Surface Pro 4 computers at work. Facial recognition worked great while setting them all up. After changing privacy settings and adding other users Windows 10 no longer logs me or the other staff members into our accounts.

I power on the tablets, they scan my face, says " Hello(my username)", but no longer logs me or the other user into windows. We have to swipe the screen and type our login information.

Any pointers how to get Windows Hello Working correctly again?

Thanks in advance!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Did you send out any policies disabling PIN Login? That would disable Hello. If not, remove the existing recognition captures and re-setup...

Dirty Surface

If you have group policies with legal notices, then it tends to screw up Windows Hello for initial login to a domain, e.g.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"legalnoticecaption"="Something"
"legalnoticetext"="Something"

OP
A

awwshoot

Currently the domain is not ready for Windows 10 so these tablets are on the network but not connected to the domain the domain to avoid the current GPO that cripples Windows 10.

Removed Face and PIN then set it up again. Same thing, Boots up, finds me, but I still have to log in. :(

I'm down to the issue surrounding turning off parts under Privacy, specifically General --> Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps (turning this off will reset your ID). I had one working till I turned this privacy option off.

OP
A

awwshoot

If you have group policies with legal notices, then it tends to screw up Windows Hello for initial login to a domain, e.g.

"legalnoticecaption"="Something"
"legalnoticetext"="Something"

You are saying these two are supposed to have blank Values correct?

Dirty Surface

I think a virgin win build may not even have those 2 lines, but yes, using the entries below seems to work. However, a group policy on login will generally replace the legal notices if they are in there. Not sure what the best practice is here, maybe a group filter for surface devices (?)

"legalnoticecaption"=""
"legalnoticetext"=""