What's new

Failed Win10 version 1903 update

Before attempting to update my SP6 to Win10 ver. 1903, I removed my SD card. No other devices were attached to the SP6 either. However, the update failed. I did not write down the error code, and now the update attempt is no longer shown in the update history so I can't find out what that error code was. I've been waiting for a couple of weeks now for Windows Update to offer again to install 1903, but so far it has not. Should I continue to wait for the update to be offered again, or should I download the update from MS and do it myself?

Turbo4AWD

Before attempting to update my SP6 to Win10 ver. 1903, I removed my SD card. No other devices were attached to the SP6 either. However, the update failed. I did not write down the error code, and now the update attempt is no longer shown in the update history so I can't find out what that error code was. I've been waiting for a couple of weeks now for Windows Update to offer again to install 1903, but so far it has not. Should I continue to wait for the update to be offered again, or should I download the update from MS and do it myself?

I would try downloading from the Microsoft website if you really want the update. Otherwise, just keep checking for updates and it will eventually show up. That has been my experience.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have an SD card inserted? Or an external HDD plugged in? If so, remove and attempt to install again...

OP
L

leerandall

As my post stated, I had removed the SD card and no other devices were attached when the first attempt failed. The SD remains removed and I've attached no devices since. I'm waiting for Windows Update to offer to install 1903 again. It's been about 2 weeks now since the failed attempt and it has not yet been offered for installation again. I'm taking Turbo's advice to wait it out, rather than download 1903 and install it myself.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As my post stated, I had removed the SD card and no other devices were attached when the first attempt failed. The SD remains removed and I've attached no devices since. I'm waiting for Windows Update to offer to install 1903 again. It's been about 2 weeks now since the failed attempt and it has not yet been offered for installation again. I'm taking Turbo's advice to wait it out, rather than download 1903 and install it myself.
Sorry I missed that part...if you don't want to wait you can use the Update Assistant

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

OP
L

leerandall

What is the general wisdom around here: Wait for it via Windows Update (which I'm skeptical will ever offer it again since it has not been offered for 3 weeks now), or use Update Assistant? I'm a patient guy, but I do have my limits.

Turbo4AWD

I did the update to 1903 today using Update Assistant. It went flawlessly and was done in about 30 minutes. Thanks to all who replied.

Glad it worked out flawlessly! Anything to help a community of fellow Surface Pro 6 owners. Enjoy! Personally I am not a fan of the "Light Mode", but other than that, it is a pretty good update.

Wevenhuis

Any news if the update will still come through in windows update? It's been several weeks. I've managed to update my 10 year old core 2 quad pc, yet Microsoft's own highly praised windows update seems to fail updating their own hardware line. Odd.

Turbo4AWD

I can confirm that for the Surface Pro 2017 it IS now available in Windows Update. I JUST updated one last week Friday using Windows Update. Keep checking everyday! You should see it there!