What's new

Fall Update to 1709

Exhile

Looks like there is a new GPU Graph under the Performance Tab in Task Manager.

Capture.JPG

Aldec

Anyone installed it?
Mine is downloading as we speak..
Took 2 1/2 hrs to install on an SP4 Pro i7 using Update, riddled with faults, failing scannow and dism commands. Overloaded servers perhaps?
Am in process of reinstalling using an ISO.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am having some typical fit and finish issues.
Seems trying to login after a sleep timeout the on screen keyboard wont popup. Have to switch users, then the keyboard comes up and have to enter username and password (no cameras allowed = no hello).

Backspace and cursor movement in text boxes in Edge is erratic at best.

Long pressing the Start Menu/Widows icon only shows the edge of the menu that should popup so can't access anything on the menu, same with the Taskbar. Note my Taskbar is on the right side not the bottom.

Using my Surface in "Tablet Mode" I guess that's deprecated now since Surface is no longer the Tablet that can replace your laptop.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding the installation process... It seems to download something, install it, then download a whole lot more and take a considerable amount of time installing that. I haven't timed it yet but of course that will be quite variable depending on the configuration of the system although I will likely do clean installs on both of my surfaces running 10.

arcanux

Anyone can confirm that the on-screen Standard Keyboard Layout(the one with all the keys) is missing?

I´ve updated a few hours ago and noticed that the option to select the standard layout is missing, either on the keyboard options or in general settings. Just reverted to the previous one as i use that layout all the time.

I´ve noticed that the layout is accessible while on the lockscreen, as it uses the previous keyboard settings but when you log on, the option is removed and you got stuck with the new one, witch dont have the split keyboard(not needed on my end) and the standard layouts.

Hope MS reconsider and bring back the option or someone can find a workaround to bring it back!

Any confirmation would be appreciated!

WiboS

I installed it using the Upgrade Assistant. After a lengthy process the Surface crashed with a blue screen (memory management error). After a reboot the same blue screen appeared. Then it reverted to the previous Windows version. I guess I will wait a little more...

Aldec

After my earlier botched Update attempt see my earlier post, have just spent (wasted) another 2 1/2 hrs doing an installation on my Surface Pro 4 i7 using the official MS ISO for a clean install, once again faults are recorded doing an sfc /scannow
Two other computers a desktop and a laptop each having done the same Update are clean.
Be interested if others would do both a scannow and Dism to find out if is just Surface Pro,s with this fault.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am having some typical fit and finish issues.
Seems trying to login after a sleep timeout the on screen keyboard wont popup. Have to switch users, then the keyboard comes up and have to enter username and password (no cameras allowed = no hello).

Backspace and cursor movement in text boxes in Edge is erratic at best.

Long pressing the Start Menu/Widows icon only shows the edge of the menu that should popup so can't access anything on the menu, same with the Taskbar. Note my Taskbar is on the right side not the bottom.

Using my Surface in "Tablet Mode" I guess that's deprecated now since Surface is no longer the Tablet that can replace your laptop.
Update: Backspace and cursor movement issue was repoed and a bug filed.

The other two issues have happened again and rebooting clears them up... So it wasn't a scaling change that causes the menu behavior... Likely a memory leak or sumptin [sic].