What's new

Fallout 4- Playable on the SB w/dGPU? (A SB vs SP4 dilemma)

mikechowreports

I have an SB i7/512/dGPU

It ran pretty poorly on the earliest versions, as in frame rate was bad and the mouse lagged hard. Thankfully the last big patch middle of Dec included some effective optimizations and it now is very playable at reduced resolutions and reduced details. I'm happy with it.

One thing that really must be noted though, you have no control over display scaling on the Surface Book. I run at 1280x800, which is 16:10, but the SB's panel is 3:2. Rather than put black bars above and below the game, which I would prefer, the panel automatically stretches everything to fill. It's not the end of the world but it's kind of annoying. I wish MS would offer control over stuff like this!

BearFlag

You definitely need to play with the power cable attached.

That's the annoying thing. I've been trying to figure out a way for it it use the dGPU on the battery to no avail. I realize that I might only get 2hrs of battery life but I think they should make the option available.

fonzman78

That's the annoying thing. I've been trying to figure out a way for it it use the dGPU on the battery to no avail. I realize that I might only get 2hrs of battery life but I think they should make the option available.

I don't have any issues playing on just battery. My comment was about having the power cable attached was due to the battery life draining quickly so that you only get a couple hours. My gaming sessions sometimes last longer than two hours so I recommend having the power cable attached. You should have no issues using the dgpu on just battery for a couple hours.