What's new

Solved Fast SD Card Recommendation

Sid Gup12

Hello all,

I just got my new SP4 and deciding which SD card the community prefers. I am debating between these two:

1. SanDisk Extreme 64GB UHS-1
Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 Card with Adapter (SDSQXNE-064G-GN6MA): Computers & Accessories (around $33)

2. Samsung 64GB PRO
Amazon.com: Samsung 64GB PRO SDXC Memory Card - Class 10 (MB-SG64D/AM): Computers & Accessories (around $45)

3. Something faster/better? From what I could find on the interwebs, UHS-1 is fastest.

Thanks

====
Update: I eventually got a Samsung PRO+ (like this) on community's recommendation. See my post HERE

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The two are NOT equivalent. the Samsung you linked is NOT a micro SD card.
You need this one... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU88U

The Samsung pro is a higher class card than the SanDisk extreme if you want to compare head to head you should look at the SanDisk extreme Pro

Either way I'll take the Samsung Pro.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Samsung EVO 128. Is this any good or should I get the pro.
AFAIK Samsung has not released a Pro 128gb yet. The Evo is not bad (48mbps read), They have an Evo+ with 80mbps read/20mbps write. The 64gb Pro is 90mbps read/80mbps write.

3rdschulz

I am also interested in what micro SD cards people recommend for their SP4. I have read good reviews about the Samsung Evo. Not to stray off topic but for the higher speed micro SD cards mentioned above, what will these speeds effect? For example would a game stored on the micro sd card be affected by its speed after opening it once it had loaded?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am also interested in what micro SD cards people recommend for their SP4. I have read good reviews about the Samsung Evo. Not to stray off topic but for the higher speed micro SD cards mentioned above, what will these speeds effect? For example would a game stored on the micro sd card be affected by its speed after opening it once it had loaded?
I have no idea if a game would write/read the card while playing. If it does than the speed might make a difference. The way to find out it to launch Resource monitor and on the Disk tab sort by Total bytes per second, Read bps, Write bps (one at a time) and look at the program(s) with the highest activity. You can see the process and the files being accessed. If something you're interested in has high activity then speed matters and slow speed kills.

Nspyr

I don't know about games but I tried to use it for video editing and it's pretty slow. I think its because the read/write speed is not like a ssd drive.

smar

I have tried both a Samsung 64Gb Pro UHS-I, which is rated at 90Mb read/80Mb write, and a Lexar 128Gb Professional UHS-II, which is rated at 150Mb/s read.

On my SP4, both the cards max out at about 85Mb/s read speed when using the internal SD card slot. I have pushed the Lexar to 140Mb/s or so by using the provided USB 3 adapter instead.

Bottom line is that if your use of the card is only on an SP4, you're better of buying the cheaper UHS-I card.

PS I run a Windows 7 virtual machine on my microsd card. Bit slow but certainly usable.

Zkyevolved

Actually for large files I got 45-60 to write (according to Windows transferring speeds), so it's very acceptable. However, small files will spend much more time.
Of course. Damn that 1 file per queue request limit on usb and micro SD! [emoji30] [emoji31]