What's new

fast startup and micro sd card=CPU and Disk usage to go extremely high. Please READ

mdrt4me

If you use a micro sd card and are currrently using fast startup please test the following

1. make sure micro sd card is in slot
2. make sure fast startup is activated
3. go to charms- power- shutdown unit
4. now wait 10 seconds
5. now power back on
6. go to task manager-click more detail to see cpu and disk usage for next minute or two.

if you have excessive cpu 20%+ and disk usage 20%+

please post +1 to this thread.

I have had 3 units that all have same issue.

now eject micro sd card and go thru same above steps and cpu and disk should settle to normal usages.

please respond +1 if you have same issue.

Thsnks CG

OP
M

mdrt4me

FYI my findings.... if you find your Pro2 running hot here's why.
Screenshot (1).png

OP
M

mdrt4me

hibernate will also produce same heavy cpu load... disk load too. Check task manager details to verify once you come out of hibernation. Only an issue once more if you have micro sd in.

fonzman78

If you use a micro sd card and are currrently using fast startup please test the following

1. make sure micro sd card is in slot
2. make sure fast startup is activated
3. go to charms- power- shutdown unit
4. now wait 10 seconds
5. now power back on
6. go to task manager-click more detail to see cpu and disk usage for next minute or two.

if you have excessive cpu 20%+ and disk usage 20%+

please post +1 to this thread.

I have had 3 units that all have same issue.

now eject micro sd card and go thru same above steps and cpu and disk should settle to normal usages.

please respond +1 if you have same issue.

Thsnks CG

+1 (kinda)

I tried this just to see. I got the same results the first time I tried it. But, subsequent power offs/one with the Micro SD card in do not have the same results. It only happened the first time.

be77solo

So, curious, would this not just simply be Windows detecting and/or indexing the SD card? Wouldn't this both be expected and normal upon first boot?

fonzman78

That's a possibility. Also, it might be that Windows updates are being downloaded at start up. This would be cause for increased disk performance and would explain why it doesn't happen all the time.

OP
M

mdrt4me

mine always does it with card in no matter what.. in hibernate or fast startup mode. (charms menu)

I have one person on the microsoft forums that says his does not do it yet we have no proof since he has not posted task manager info.

Mine never goes to a regular cpu or disk activity level. Please test hibernate also. (from charms menu)

reach

I don't see an issue here. The SP2 is a Windows PC. Windows PC do "things" at startup. 33% CPU load is nothing, at least if it goes back to normal level after all is up. Sounds to me like it's indexing, scanning, whatever your SD card.
If your's is really going too hot to touch, then you probably really have a problem. But CPU load peaks are perfectly normal for a Windows system.

OP
M

mdrt4me

I don't see an issue here. The SP2 is a Windows PC. Windows PC do "things" at startup. 33% CPU load is nothing, at least if it goes back to normal level after all is up. Sounds to me like it's indexing, scanning, whatever your SD card.
If your's is really going too hot to touch, then you probably really have a problem. But CPU load peaks are perfectly normal for a Windows system.

These are NOT peaks they are sustained and NEVER come back to normal levels. Have you tested yours yet with a micro SD in? I havr mirrored the issue on 8 units now...

Have you tested yours yet? I suggest you try.

OP
M

mdrt4me

Once more, please test your machines with micro sd in... and post your results after coming out of hibernation and upon startup using fast startup. (charm menu)

OP
M

mdrt4me

+1 (kinda)

I tried this just to see. I got the same results the first time I tried it. But, subsequent power offs/one with the Micro SD card in do not have the same results. It only happened the first time.

please test hibernate with micro sd in also... tell me your results coming out of hibernate...