What's new

Solved Favor to ask of someone who just got a SP3 with Windows 10 preinstalled

I am looking for someone who has recently purchased an SP3 that came with Windows 10 from the factory to go into Settings->System->Power & sleep and tell me if you see both a Screen and a Sleep section or just one or the other. Trying to determine if they optimized the image to remove the screen option considering these have Connected Standby.

rege0039

I've got one through a swap in a Microsoft store. Got a new retail unit which came with Win10 preinstalled.

I have both options, screen and sleep.

Hope that helps

OP
majorgearhead

majorgearhead

I've got one through a swap in a Microsoft store. Got a new retail unit which came with Win10 preinstalled.

I have both options, screen and sleep.

Hope that helps

That is perfect. Was just trying to see if they did some optimization on those to get rid of the redundant Display off option. This will probably happen in a future.

Since I know you have one, and Mod's please forgive me (posted the question elsewhere), but look under the kickstand, does it sport a Windows 10 Pro logo, Windows 8.1 Pro Logo or general Windows symbol.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting thread. My only knowledge is that both my machines have the screen off and sleep options (I installed 10n myself) but that it only seems to effect, well, none of the stuff I would want it to. VLC will stop playing an audio file if screen turns off. I treat them as the same.

What logo does yours have? :)

OP
majorgearhead

majorgearhead

What logo does yours have? :)

I have an original 8.1 machine so Windows 8.1 Pro, but have some HW issues going on and may get this replaced at the store. I was interested to know if the replacements with Windows 10 had a Windows 10 logo, Windows 8.1 logo or just a generic logo. May help me to determine without turning on the machine if they are giving me a machine with Windows 10 preinstalled.

OP
majorgearhead

majorgearhead

From another thread the answer is that it comes with a standard Windows logo and no specific Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 logo.

rege0039

That is perfect. Was just trying to see if they did some optimization on those to get rid of the redundant Display off option. This will probably happen in a future.

Since I know you have one, and Mod's please forgive me (posted the question elsewhere), but look under the kickstand, does it sport a Windows 10 Pro logo, Windows 8.1 Pro Logo or general Windows symbol.

Not sure I am clear on difference. It has the square windows window icon, etched (or sticker ?!) and then says 'Microsoft'.

OP
majorgearhead

majorgearhead

Not sure I am clear on difference. It has the square windows window icon, etched (or sticker ?!) and then says 'Microsoft'.
The older SP3 has that same window but also has etched Windows 8.1 pro. Kind of an easy way to see if it came from the factory with Windows 10.

rege0039

The older SP3 has that same window but also has etched Windows 8.1 pro. Kind of an easy way to see if it came from the factory with Windows 10.

It doesn't say 8.1 so I guess it has the factory image of WIndows 10.

I'm presuming you would like the image from the recovery partition ?

Not sure how to get that, if you tell me I will happily do it.

I'm on Insider so have latest build but I don't think that should make any difference ?

OP
majorgearhead

majorgearhead

It doesn't say 8.1 so I guess it has the factory image of WIndows 10.

I'm presuming you would like the image from the recovery partition ?

Not sure how to get that, if you tell me I will happily do it.

I'm on Insider so have latest build but I don't think that should make any difference ?
I posted the following on another thread. You can get the image by going to Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface

You will need to sign in with the account your SP3 is registered to and then download the recovery zip file. Since we all have Surface Pro 3's and a license to run 10 I don't see any issue with sharing the factory image for 10. It may end up being not as optimized as my clean install of Windows 10. We will see. You will want to PM that instead of posting to this thread though.

Derekamoss

I posted the following on another thread. You can get the image by going to Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface

You will need to sign in with the account your SP3 is registered to and then download the recovery zip file. Since we all have Surface Pro 3's and a license to run 10 I don't see any issue with sharing the factory image for 10. It may end up being not as optimized as my clean install of Windows 10. We will see. You will want to PM that instead of posting to this thread though.

The problem is if it wasn't pre installed with windows 10 the recovery image will always download the 8.1 image every time.

OP
majorgearhead

majorgearhead

The problem is if it wasn't pre installed with windows 10 the recovery image will always download the 8.1 image every time.
Correct. Back in the thread he mentioned he had Windows 10 pre-installed so what everyone is asking is if he could download the image and PM it to folks. Note the image will not work on 8.1 machines unless you have first upgraded to 10.