What's new

Feature you are really liking is....

Ok so i see many people with issues on upgrading or questions on upgrading or dislikes...

so what is the 1 thing (or more) you really like..

mine... is

XBOX app.... wow.. had my son turn the Xbox one on and play. i was streaming what he was playing. Now I didnt totally look into it but it did say I did not have a xbox controller connected to my PC (SP2) but I am guessing I could actually play from my device.... pretty cool!!!

makes it easier to do screen clippings of xbox or videos for tutorials, etc...

zhenya

Independent scaling for different screens.

New touch gestures for Window management.

The overall look - Win 8 was beginning to look dated.

OP
T

TeleFragger

Independent scaling for different screens.

New touch gestures for Window management.

The overall look - Win 8 was beginning to look dated.

hmmm agree with the 8 look...

can you elaborate on the other 2 as im not following? touch gesters and independent scaling?

zhenya

When connecting multiple monitors, I can now choose say, 125% for the big monitor, while keeping 150% on the Surface. This gained me a bunch of real estate on my external monitor. Previously you could either have Windows decide for you, or have one scaling factor across all monitors. You also no longer need to log off for changes to take effect.

Gestures - with a touchpad there are now Mac-like gestures to display all open windows for quick switching, among others.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...ard-shortcuts-or-windows-10-for-the-mac-user/

Russ

. . . so what is the 1 thing (or more) you really like...

Overall "desktop" feel and utility. I'm a desktop guy. The only touchscreen device I have is my SurfacePro1, and the only time I really use it is when I am away from my home/office. It is not yet upgraded to Win10, so cannot comment on how I will like Win10 on that device. However, from the comments I have read here, I'm sure it will be a satisfactory experience.

My 8.1 machines have been running with the Start8 utility, so I had already accomplished my desktop feel in 8.1

Although you didn't ask, "What do I dislike?" Nothing, really. I have been running Win10 since the first Preview build, and I think it's a Winner.

Regards,
Russ

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything :) (there are certainly features missing but they didn't exist in 8.1 either so those are not really debatable points)

Because I use my Surface 3 as a tablet quite a bit, I really love the "Action Center." To me, it's brilliant that a tablet that's used mostly in landscape mode lets you trigger the notification center with a swipe from one of the sides. While I had grown used to the Charms Bar of Win 8, to me this is a better use of screen real estate, especially for touchscreen users.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because I use my Surface 3 as a tablet quite a bit, I really love the "Action Center." To me, it's brilliant that a tablet that's used mostly in landscape mode lets you trigger the notification center with a swipe from one of the sides. While I had grown used to the Charms Bar of Win 8, to me this is a better use of screen real estate, especially for touchscreen users.

While I have zero use for notifications, I'm not that kind of person or user, I do find it far superior to 8.1. I especially like the OneNote button for when I don't have the pen at hand and am feeling lazy :)

Cyb3rDud3

Definitely independent scaling, makes a huge difference.

But also continuum this hybrid device is now much more consistent across the various modes. Loving it.

kristalsoldier

Agreed! However, I use my S3 as a pure tablet and the Action/ Notification Center is a boon - though I am not sure if notifications from desktop apps show in there (I am specifically thinking of Telegram).

jds4300

The Edge browser is FABULOUS! The new Start Screen is VERY GOOD! Overall, I would say that Windows 10 is Microsoft's best OS to date! Great job guys!

CrippsCorner

Overall speed of the thing to be honest, is very good. Edge beats Chrome in that department I feel, it's just a shame you can't swipe to go backwards/forwards like you could in IE (why take something good away?) so it renders it almost useless in tablet mode.