What's new

Few questions about my Surface Pro 2017

Plantje

A while ago I bought a Surface Pro 2017 LTE i5/8/256 to replace my Surface 3 LTE 4/128 and I am very happy with it! In a while this will also replace my desktop at home. Then I will always have almost everything available everywhere.

Still hoping Waze will come with a Windows 10 app (which I doubt) and Google Maps will be a truly working PWA. Then I can use the device as my main driver in the car as well.

And, for usage in the car the first question pops up... I've got my SP connected to my Audi A3 using bluetooth. Previously I was able to skip to the next song on Groove using a hardware button in the car. Right now I cannot do that. Furthermore, my Samsung Galaxy S8 displays the song info which is being played on Spotify. Can my SP send that info back as well? And if it doesn't, is something broken with regards to bluetooth?

Second "issue"... Last week I had a job interview and I wanted to make notes using OneNote and the SP4 pen. As soon as I was hoovering over the screen I saw lines being drawn on the OneNote canvas. I quickly restarted OneNote, but it still occurred. So, I made notes that were hardly readable.
Then, after the meeting, I went to a Starbucks and without restarting the device I didn't see the issue anymore and I haven't seen it since. Anyone ever had this issue?

OP
Plantje

Plantje

One other thing....while connected to my car and playing some audio over bluetooth the connection gets lost at times. In most cases this happens two or three times in the first 15 minutes.... After that everything is fine

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure about the Car issue, the pen issue usually has one of two causes, the Tip is worn or the battery is weak.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Perhaps someone else can tell me more about the bluetooth connectivity. My two Android phones don't have that issue; it's only this SP.
Ah...and the Surface 3 that I owned had the possibility to skip to next songs as well. Not a huge issue for now though.

I will keep the remarks with regards to the pen in mind. I have some tips left and I think I even have a spare battery lying around.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I just tested my Surface Book in a 2018 Volvo. Track data using Spotify and Pandora (and native play) all work fine. Skipping tracks via dashboard works, too.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Thanks. I will remove the bluetooth connection and recreate it while connected to WiFi. Perhaps the drivers weren't fully loaded and that's the reason for only having basic connectivity

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Yesterday I reconnected while connected to WiFi. Still no song information is displayed on my Audi's screen (didn't work with the Surface 3 either) nor do the buttons from the car work to skip songs. The latter did work on my Surface 3.
Have tested both Spotify and Groove Music

OP
Plantje

Plantje

The disconnects seem to be solved. In the power management of the bluetooth radio adapter I unticked the box that allows the computer to turn off the device to save power.
Still need to further test it, but for now it seems solved.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

I've had no more disconnects.

Still no hardware buttons from the car work and I get no information on the track currently playing. That's too bad.
What does seems to work, is the other way around. If I have an incoming or outgoing phone call the video on display automatically pauses.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
On my Volvo, a settings for the Bluetooth connection was "Notifications". Enabling this allowed track names to be displayed.