What's new

File Explorer Print Option Greyed Out

Searched Google and could not find an answer to this seemingly easy to fix problem.

In File Explorer (Windows 10 on SP3 i5 256), the option to print (printer icon) selected files is greyed out. Right click is missing the option as well. In device manager, the correct printer is selected as default.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure what to suggest. If I browse down a folder containing multiple types of document format, the icon greys out for formats it cannot print by default in this manner, e.g a pdf file, but works just fine for say word documents. What type of files are you wanting to print?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Verify that that Printer Spool Service is running if it is from an elevated command prompt sfc /scannow and see if it can repair any corrupted files...

Last resort do a refresh or reset

OP
D

doublestack1

I just learned it will allow me to print doc and xls files but not PDFs. Is there an option I need to turn on to enable PDF printing from File Explorer? Thank you.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just learned it will allow me to print doc and xls files but not PDFs. Is there an option I need to turn on to enable PDF printing from File Explorer? Thank you.

That is what I had thought after trying it myself. So far as I am aware, it is not supported, but maybe it is something that will be implemented before too long. Its such a common format that it doesn't make sense not to have that ability. I don't know if windows 10 users have to ability to leave feedback for Microsoft unless they are on the insider programme

OP
D

doublestack1

That is what I had thought after trying it myself. So far as I am aware, it is not supported, but maybe it is something that will be implemented before too long. Its such a common format that it doesn't make sense not to have that ability. I don't know if windows 10 users have to ability to leave feedback for Microsoft unless they are on the insider programme
Thank you. Let's hope they fix it soon.