What's new

File History folder in external SD card

tony8154

I'm not sure if I have this set up, or if this was automatic, but I inserted an external SD card (64GB) to use for later on to store large media files, but today I noticed that the card is almost full with a folder named File History. Could someone please explain what this folder is and what I do with it and if it's OK to delete, and how do I stop it from storing data on the external SD card?

Thanks in advance!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Settings - Change PC settings - Update and Recovery - File History

From there you can turn it on or off and set the location such as SD card or external USB drive. It doesn't always have to be connected.

The folder would be named FileHistory if it's just History it might be something else.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use my SSD almost exclusively for File History. Works perfectly, and has saved me from myself a few times. Peace of mind.

Screenshot (85).png

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suspect the drive must be void of all other files and folders before initiating the File History.
I don't recall that being a requirement but you might be right, a sad limitation if so.

Perhaps though, the target must at least be larger than what would get copied to it as you wouldn't get much of a history otherwise. Perchance is it a small card or have little free space?

kristalsoldier

I don't recall that being a requirement but you might be right, a sad limitation if so.

Perhaps though, the target must at least be larger than what would get copied to it as you wouldn't get much of a history otherwise. Perchance is it a small card or have little free space?

I don't think so. It's a 64GB card with ~34GB free.