What's new

File History Question

kristalsoldier

So, I get an alert to set up the File History, which I have yet to do on my SP3. While my desktop machine is connected to an external HDD, I have never connected my SP3 to it or, for that matter, to any drive (including any USB drive) till date. So, here is my question: (1) Can I set file history to save to the MicroSD card? (2) Can I keep using the same USB thumb drive to do save file history? (3) Can I save file history to OneDrive (if yes, how?) and (4) any other option?

Thanks in advance.

Telstar1948

I don't have an SP3 at this point, but since your question concerns Windows 8.1, I felt I could answer.

You can set File History to backup to an external USB drive, mSD card, thumb drive etc. It backs up Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos and Desktop from you PC (SP3 or whatever, running 8.1).

Regarding OneDrive, you can backup any file on your computer to OneDrive, but you can't include those OneDrive files in File History unless you set the OneDrive files to be available on your PC (SP3 or whatever) also.

I have my files on OneDrive set to also be available on my PC's so that I can access them should I not be connected to the internet at that moment. If you go into PC Settings > Update & Recovery > File History you can set it up the way you want it there.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I don't have an SP3 at this point, but since your question concerns Windows 8.1, I felt I could answer.

You can set File History to backup to an external USB drive, mSD card, thumb drive etc. It backs up Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos and Desktop from you PC (SP3 or whatever, running 8.1).

Regarding OneDrive, you can backup any file on your computer to OneDrive, but you can't include those OneDrive files in File History unless you set the OneDrive files to be available on your PC (SP3 or whatever) also.

I have my files on OneDrive set to also be available on my PC's so that I can access them should I not be connected to the internet at that moment. If you go into PC Settings > Update & Recovery > File History you can set it up the way you want it there.

Thanks very much. In my case, I think setting File History to the MicroSD card would work the best.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I forgot to add that my SP3 is a clone of my desktop machine. The desktop machine saves its file history - as I mentioned in my original post - to the external HDD on my desk. So, when I follow the path that you mentioned, I find that (1) the option to choose an alternate location is turned off and (2) that it clearly says that since the back-up drive (which it identifies as the external HDD) is disconnected File History has not been backed up. This was the reason I asked.

I suppose, I could set up the SP3 as an independent device and then only sync some elements of it with my desktop machine, but I was trying to avoid that. However, if there is no other way (which it seems there isn't), then I will have no other recourse.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot to add that my SP3 is a clone of my desktop machine. The desktop machine saves its file history - as I mentioned in my original post - to the external HDD on my desk. So, when I follow the path that you mentioned, I find that (1) the option to choose an alternate location is turned off and (2) that it clearly says that since the back-up drive (which it identifies as the external HDD) is disconnected File History has not been backed up. This was the reason I asked.

I suppose, I could set up the SP3 as an independent device and then only sync some elements of it with my desktop machine, but I was trying to avoid that. However, if there is no other way (which it seems there isn't), then I will have no other recourse.
Try from the desktop control panel and see if it allows you to change the location....

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\File History

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

No...that does not work.

Edit: It just says File History saving is suspended. Connect to G: (which is currently unavailable)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried to turn off the Sync Setting for other Windows Settings? You may need to turn off File History and reset it on each machine....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
MUI PC Settings.... OneDrive.... Sync

Flip to "Off" Other Windows Settings....

Then see if it lets you change the File History Settings if not turn them off and set again from scratch.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

MUI PC Settings.... OneDrive.... Sync

Flip to "Off" Other Windows Settings....

Then see if it lets you change the File History Settings if not turn them off and set again from scratch.

No it does not. What exactly do you mean by "set again from scratch"? Thanks.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Have you turned off that particular sync setting, Turn Off File History, then set it up again selecting you SD Card....

That very option is greyed out...with the injunction that File History is to be saved to the external drive which is not available (to the SP3). It is available and working on the desktop machine.