What's new

Final Fantasy XIII plays great on my SP3!

Junwei

Hi,

In case anyone is wondering how is gaming like on the SP3, i have the Core i5 256GB variant of the SP3. Recently, Final Fantasy 13 was released on steam for PCs at a very cheap price of $16 USD. (It was previously only available for playing on gaming consoles), so I bought and downloaded it to try it out. Note that the game requires 30GB of storage space.

Amazingly, FF13 plays without lag on my SP3. I do not have the FPS rates, however it plays perfectly fine without jerkiness. Battle events and cut scenes run without a hitch. Note that the PC port of the game only allows you to play in 720p, nevertheless the graphics and cutscenes still look amazing. You may upscale the game to native resolution via a hack which can be googled, but that may negatively affect the FPS.

Jerkiness only sets in when the CPU starts being throttled, which happens when playing while on battery with hot ambient temps. Playing with the power adapter plugged in seems to be fine though. While playing on battery with 40% brightness, I am able to achieve about 3.5 hours of gameplay.

Best of all, if you do install it both on your home desktop and SP3, the save games are synced to the cloud via Steam, hence u can play with the PC and swap to the SP3 anytime and not lose any game progress.

FF13 is an amazing game with beautiful graphics and storyline, it will provide you with endless hours of entertainment on your SP3!

OP
J

Junwei

Can you play it from the microSD?

Im not sure, dont have a microSD inserted. But the transfer speeds of the microSD are pretty slow, so loading times might take very long. Even on the SSD, every mini-chapter takes approx 10 secs to load.

ctitanic

Im not sure, dont have a microSD inserted. But the transfer speeds of the microSD are pretty slow, so loading times might take very long. Even on the SSD, every mini-chapter takes approx 10 secs to load.
30 Gb of SSD for 2 hours of play. Don't you think that is better to use the SP3 in some more productive tasks? I just saying.

Anyway it's good to know that the SP3 is capable but from that to use it... Let's face it, it's not an optimal gaming device.

OP
J

Junwei

3.5 is better. But still lower than the lowest battery reported.

What's the brightness white you are playing?

40% brightness. TBH its not meant for gaming on the go because once CPU throttling sets in, it gets jerky. More for casual gaming when u have access to power and the SP3 is the only machine you have. Like lets say in the airport in the transit lounge with an 8 hr transit time?

ctitanic

40% brightness. TBH its not meant for gaming on the go because once CPU throttling sets in, it gets jerky. More for casual gaming when u have access to power and the SP3 is the only machine you have. Like lets say in the airport in the transit lounge with an 8 hr transit time?
But if you have a 8 hours transit time I would use the SP3 in something that will not eat the battery in 3.5 hours.;)

Again, it's good to know all this data. Don't get me wrong.:cool:

OP
J

Junwei

But if you have a 8 hours transit time I would use the SP3 in something that will not eat the battery in 3.5 hours.;)

Again, it's good to know all this data. Don't get me wrong.:cool:

I meant having a power point while in the transit lounges... they always come with power points. Stop focusing on the battery lol.