What's new

Final Version Of Office For RT Released

Chip

If your Surface has not already downloaded it (it is about 580 meg) you can go to Windows Update and manually download\install. It is faster compared to what shipped originally on the Surface...so last Friday:). Chip

Br1an_g

downloaded the update. bit disappointed that it doesn't support macro enabled workbooks, or am I missing something?

J515OP

Super Moderator
downloaded the update. bit disappointed that it doesn't support macro enabled workbooks, or am I missing something?

MS announced from the beginning that Windows RT (including the Surface RT) would not support Office macros. You didn't miss anything on your tablet but it seems you missed the details of Office on Windows RT devices :(

Br1an_g

disappointed but I never read anything to say it wouldn't do so. marketing the office suite without macros is like selling coffee without sugar, does the same job but doesn't taste as sweet..shame.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I hear you but the counter argument is that is what Surface Pro and full fledged Windows 8 tablets are for. Windows RT had to have some compromises and this is one of those. For 90% of people Office without Outlook and macros is plenty to get productivity out of their tablet. For those that need more (and enterprise) MS is clearly pushing Windows 8 over Windows RT.

Most reviews covered the omission of the features from RT not that it helps you when you are on the checkout page for Surface and don't see the fine print. clicking on the fine print takes you to an Office RT FAQ page which has the following as an FAQ.

Does Office Home & Student 2013 RT (Preview and the final edition) include the same features as Office Home & Student 2013 on my Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC?

Almost – Word 2013 RT, Excel 2013 RT, PowerPoint 2013 RT and OneNote 2013 RT in Office Home & Student 2013 RT include the vast majority of Office Home & Student 2013 features available on PCs, and nearly all the features most customers use. But because tablets have special needs for security and mobility, a few features are unavailable in Office Home & Student 2013 RT, including macros, add-ins, and other custom programs written by users or developed by third parties.

I'll post a new thread with the FAQ link to help other catch this info in the future. (Office RT FAQ thread here http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...des/1924-office-home-student-2013-rt-faq.html)

JP

Last edited:

Br1an_g

not been bothered about outlook being excluded but macro enabled workbooks are a majority of my excel usage.

I will be getting the pro anyways so not hugely bothered by a little time delay before I get to full productivity :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well that will be nice to have both! I suspect the majority of RT users will be more happy about having any sort of Office on a tablet than disappointed by the lack of a couple Office features :)

Hagar

The biggest issue for me is the lack of Outlook being included in Office RT. The Surface is the best competitor to the iPad in a business environment that I've seen so far. Outlook would be the "Killer App" in kicking out the iPads and moving Surfaces in. The Surface Pro will be too heavy and too expensive to compete with the iPad, so not including Outlook was a big mistake...

J515OP

Super Moderator
The biggest issue for me is the lack of Outlook being included in Office RT. The Surface is the best competitor to the iPad in a business environment that I've seen so far. Outlook would be the "Killer App" in kicking out the iPads and moving Surfaces in. The Surface Pro will be too heavy and too expensive to compete with the iPad, so not including Outlook was a big mistake...

Well heft and expense are debatable. There will certainly be light Windows 8 tablets that are competitive in weight with other tablets. You also have to consider features (ports and battery) that may come with extra weight.

Surface Pro - 2lbs includes digitizer layer and pen plus many port options not on iPad and touch cover 0.46lbs = 2.46lbs

iPad - 1.44lbs plus additional keyboard accessory weight (e.g. logitech ultrathin, random choice) 0.78lbs = 2.22lbs

Asus Transformer TF300T - 1.4lbs plus dock (which includes extended battery and ports) 1.2lbs = 2.6lbs

I would say this is extremely in the range of other tablets.

iPads aren't exactly cheap $499-$829 for the current model and certainly some full Windows 8 tablets will also slot into that price range. So maybe not a Surface Pro but one of the many Windows 8 options from other OEMs.

As far as Outlook and and the business environment this is expressly not the purpose for Windows RT and Home and Student Office that it includes. Mistake or not, that isn't the device MS wants you to buy for that situation and is probably one of the biggest reasons they intentionally did not include Outlook (aside from technical issues).

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...des/1924-office-home-student-2013-rt-faq.html

Can I use Office Home & Student 2013 RT for work or business?

As sold, Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview and the final edition are not designed for commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities. However, organizations who purchase commercial use rights or have a commercial license to Office 2013 suites can use Office Home & Student 2013 RT for commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities.

JP

kuwaitmatt

I am very disappointed with my new surface tablet. Every day I find something else I cant do with Windows RT. I have been using an ipad for a few years now and thought that the new surface would solve many of the deficiencies that were bugging me and in fairness it did. Unfortunately it brought problems of its own:
Firstly there is no access to iTunes which means that I cant transfer my music and video library and files for this reason I now have to carry both my Surface tablet and my ipad.
Second. It will not run Outlook so there seems to be no way to attach files to emails, something that I do every day. Consequently I now have to also keep my IBM laptop.
Thirdly. It seems to have a problem with Flash I have been unable to open a number of lash items because it says that the version of flash is not compatible.
Fourth: When I use Skype it will not accept the front camera saying that it is not available.

Does anyone have an answer to these problems before I get rid of this surface.

so far I would give it 3 out of 10 for function!!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
am very disappointed with my new surface tablet. Every day I find something else I cant do with Windows RT. I have been using an ipad for a few years now and thought that the new surface would solve many of the deficiencies that were bugging me and in fairness it did. Unfortunately it brought problems of its own:

Firstly there is no access to iTunes which means that I cant transfer my music and video library and files for this reason I now have to carry both my Surface tablet and my ipad.

Since you own a laptop, There is a tool that will migrate your iTunes collectionhttp://mirror.markspace.com/win/WelcomeHometoWindowsPhone_100.exe

Second. It will not run Outlook so there seems to be no way to attach files to emails, something that I do every day. Consequently I now have to also keep my IBM laptop.

Two Choices - Outlook Web Access (OWA) gives you full Outlook Client, also the built in Mail App supports attachments
Thirdly. It seems to have a problem with Flash I have been unable to open a number of lash items because it says that the version of flash is not compatible.

Some sites are not Whitelisted, but you have 100% more Flash Functionality than on your iPad....
Fourth: When I use Skype it will not accept the front camera saying that it is not available.

I've not experienced this, does the front facing camera work with the Camera App?

J515OP

Super Moderator

There are many solutions to this problem. You can't install iTunes on the Surface RT but you don't need to. Easy fix, use the option in iTunes to convert all your files to MP3. Transfer the files to any device you want to use them on via usb, SD, wifi or cloud.

This was widely published as the biggest missing feature of Office on RT. I'm sorry you missed that prior to your purchase. See the link two posts above yours for other limitations of Office on RT.

You need to use the desktop IE and add sites to the white list. Search the forum to see how to do this.

This may be an issue with your specific device. Not sure as I haven't heard any other reports about it. You may need to try a reset or possibly return if it is actually a hardware issue.

There are many early resources on this very forum. Try a search for your problems and look around. Most of your problems can be over come with just a few minutes of effort.

JP