What's new

Finally...128GB micro sd

CrippsCorner

Makes buying a phone just because of it's larger internal storage obsolete with this available really.

Yes true. One sour point of owning an iPhone I guess... you could buy this and have all your photographs and music on there etc. then just chuck it into each new phone you get, simply buying the lowest storage one each time.

OP
tarrant64

tarrant64

Huge find! Awesome! Will stop by best buy this weekend and see if they are still price matching (I believe they are). Also just to see if it's still in stock. If not - no biggy will just buy from Amaon direct.

Kayzee - you're right about the iPhones. I own one too - solid phone, but lack of expandable storage....

OP
tarrant64

tarrant64

I have no idea, but the general consensus is anything newer these days (which should include the Surface Pro). I couldn't find a clear cut "if you have this kind of system board or new it should be fine" data - just that most machines should support it. I think there will be more of a problem with mobile phones support...I think than anything else.

CreativeLemming

I have no idea, but the general consensus is anything newer these days (which should include the Surface Pro). I couldn't find a clear cut "if you have this kind of system board or new it should be fine" data - just that most machines should support it. I think there will be more of a problem with mobile phones support...I think than anything else.

It 'should' work (particularly if it comes from Microsoft as they had a large role to play in the standardisation of SDXC).

Support for large capacity cards involves a few aspects:

1. The underlying host controller and device driver should support 512 Byte Block addressing (which has been standard since SD cards grew large than 2GBytes in size so no problem there). Once this is supported, then anything up to 2TB is basically compatible at the physical level, although as far as SD cards are concerned this only gets you as far as 32GBytes.

2. Anything above 32GBytes must (a) support the exFAT File System [to be compliant, although you can use other filesystems but manufacturers won't have designed for this and there could be reliability issues as the spec's are very much tied to exFAT], and the (b) driver must perform a specific initialisation sequence and adhere to some subtle timings introduced by large capacity cards (this is one of the reasons there used to be so many interoperability issues).

We can assume that since the SP2 supports 64GB then (2b) is covered, and since MS designed exFAT then (2a) is also covered. Also, as far as the standard is concerned there's no difference between 64G, 128G, 256G etc...

...so I see no reason why 128GB, and anything larger in the foreseeable future shouldn't work in theory. In practice though, In guess we'll find out!

revmike

I had an older MP3 music player that was rated to handle an SD Card up to 32gb. I had a 64gb card and put it in and it worked. So I don't see any problems with the surface being able to access the new 128gb card.

daniielrp

I have a 64Gb card in my Surface Pro and it holds all my music :) which is currently about 60Gb worth! So I'm nearing the end... have around 40-50Gb free on my Surface's HDD I think, so could spill over to that or get myself one of these. Very nice indeed.

Same here, got a 64GB Sony one just for storing my iTunes library (though slowly going across to Xbox Music, it's improving all the time!)

OP
tarrant64

tarrant64

Just an update I did purchase the 128GB microsdxc card from Amazon. Will update everyone on when it arrives and if it works, and how well it works.

I was going to check in-store availability for BestBuy but looks like it is back ordered - which is crazy if people didn't price check it at Amazon or elsewhere first. I still haven't found yet where else it may be sold (Newegg, TigerDirect, Fry's, etc.). Per the original announcement it just stated BestBuy and Amazon would have it available - I don't know if this is a stock issue/reason or what.

beq

Will SP2 owners still have to contend with the microsd/audio bug spiking CPU usage?

Otherwise I want to get 5...

OP
tarrant64

tarrant64

Will SP2 owners still have to contend with the microsd/audio bug spiking CPU usage?

Otherwise I want to get 5...

That's new to me. Got a link to a thread about the issue?

Just because the size increases on this microsdxc card, if this were an issue, I don't think that this is doing anything to fix it.