What's new

Finally a Solid Windows 10 Build for Surface 3

malberttoo

Unfortunately, I expect an update to Windows 8.1's implementation of OneDrive to make it compatible with the new backend, which will make it the same as Windows 10.

My understanding is the metadata of OneDrive was\is causing issues on the 16-32GB devices....

This is unfortunate. "We can't get it working right on a certain subset of devices, so let's change it for everyone..."

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is unfortunate. "We can't get it working right on a certain subset of devices, so let's change it for everyone..."
It is more complicated than that, it has more to do with the backend changes.... security and privacy.

MoggSquad

Are you still on 10162 or 10166? Is it still stable with the video driver? Is everyone running the newest builds on S3 without crashing?

My Surface 3 arrives today that I will be using for a work conference exclusively for a week or so. I'm very tempted to put 10 on it (it's running great on my desktop), but any crashing would not be good.

Ever since putting Windows 10 preview on my Surface 3, I've had a few issues. The biggest one was that any time I used the Edge browser for very long, the video driver would crash and I'd have to reboot. I've been on today's 10162 build for many hours now, with no crashing. Also, everything seems very snappy. Not running into any problems at all so farl

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm on 10166 as of last night, and while i havn't had much time to test, it is working just great :) Normally when i wake my S3 from sleep, it takes a while, just did it on 10166 and it was really nippy. Glad. It used to take longer than was acceptable to simply wake up from sleep.

touch for desktop apps is better in what way? maybe I missed something.

what i miss most -- currently reverting -- is the browser. 8.1 browsing is wonderful, from swipe-up to see your tabs to swipe left to go back a screen, etc. with Edge/10 it's like using a desktop browser where you have to reach to the top of the screen for everything.

also, I hate not having OneDrive thumbnails. they are incredibly well thought out in 8.1

Not sure why you're reaching up to the top of the screen to go back when there's a perfectly fine 'BACK' arrow on the task bar on Windows 10.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
touch for desktop apps is better in what way? maybe I missed something.

Quite simply put. The keyboard. I can't accept having to manually bring the keyboard up for almost every text field when not running in MUI mode. On 10 i can just hit tablet mode and (almost) every text field will call the keyboard up for you.

@RichBrownsDesk spotted that the other day (havn't had a reason to use tablet mode for a while). Have to remind myself it's there, but it is certainly useful (although i run with my taskbar on the top of the screen so it doesn't alleviate that problem for me :D )

I'm pretty impressed with this build and the S3. Really enjoy tablet mode on the whole. I was questioning in the past why we couldn't see desktop items in previous builds when in tablet mode, and i guessed right. somehow MS have managed to "revert" to having a desktop OS and a tablet OS, kind of like win 8, but they have managed to make it work. And it seems that one of the biggest reasons, is that all it took was to allow windowed apps and to keep the taskbar. No full screen rubbish.