What's new

Finally bought SP2 64gb

qwertyy

After days of thinking and rethinking, I finally purchased an SP2 and I will be getting it later this week (hopefully).

Much to my surprise, the price for the SP2 and the SP3 were the same for 64GB models (I still don't understand why).

The only reason I chose SP2 was because I really liked the smoothness of the Wacom pen and how they were not powered by batteries.

I'm also a bit concerned because since it's an older model of the pro line, it has to be worse than the SP3 in some way..right? I really hope it's as good as the SP3 (function-wise) :(

When I was comparing the specs, I couldn't really tell the difference. Could someone share your SP2 experience? Are they really really different from the SP3 models? (other than, of course, the screen size)

mennogreg

Outside of the change in stylus system, weight, resolution, difference in aspect ratio (the SP1 and SP2 are more uncomfortable when held in portrait) and perhaps Connected Standby, which some people like and some don't, there isn't much substantial difference in terms of overall functionality. The SP2 may even have a bit of an advantage under heavy loads as it doesn't have to throttle as aggressively because of its more traditional (at least compared to the SP3) heat dissipation system. Outside of their own quirks and shortcomings, when you get down to using applications, I doubt you'd notice any substantial difference between an SP1, SP2, or SP3 (and I've owned all three)

Fast-T

Had a SP1pro before and the screen makes the difference. Also the weight and the stylus is much better than the older generation. The SP3 is just perfect (in my eyes). However, I think the SP2 is still a good choice, but the 16:9 screen was never my favorite. Now looking at my old machine - it looks odd ... unnatural.

Not mentioned the back button of the stylus for quick notes or screen capture. I use this many times a day. So fantastic ...

OP
Q

qwertyy

Thanks for the inputs everyone :)
Given how their functionality is similar I think SP2 is a better option for me because of many things like quieter fans, better reacting pen, less throttling issues, etc.
I'm only going to be using it in lecture to take notes so I'm not terribly bothered by the screen size or the resolution.
Hopefully by the time they release SP4, they resolve all the issues they have with the current SP3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the inputs everyone :)
Given how their functionality is similar I think SP2 is a better option for me because of many things like quieter fans, better reacting pen, less throttling issues, etc.
I'm only going to be using it in lecture to take notes so I'm not terribly bothered by the screen size or the resolution.
Hopefully by the time they release SP4, they resolve all the issues they have with the current SP3.
Given that Sp4 will likely accompany Win9 it will be a mess for the first 6 months... and not be right until Win9.1
Shortly after that MS will release the SP5 if its still alive.

InspectHerGadget

The SP2 is good especially in the pen. You won't hear too many stories of the SP2 pen intermittently not working or the pen just failing altogether.

The only thing I miss about the i7 SP3 I had was the speed. It was very fast. Strangely enough the bigger screen I don't miss.

OP
Q

qwertyy

The SP2 is good especially in the pen. You won't hear too many stories of the SP2 pen intermittently not working or the pen just failing altogether.

The only thing I miss about the i7 SP3 I had was the speed. It was very fast. Strangely enough the bigger screen I don't miss.

Yeah.. I used to hear sooo many good things about the SP2 pen. For me, the thing that I miss the most is the design of the SP3. But if the SP2 doesn't have those weird bugs that I used to have on my SP3, I can forgive the SP2 design :)

DeathMoJo

Congrats on your purchase! I just picked up an SP2 the other day as well, loving it so far. Tweaking it and found it funny it took a good 2-3 hours to get all the Windows updates for it!

InspectHerGadget

Well, the SP3 was the first upgrade where the main product line, the i5, was completely unchanged.

That also means the graphics is the same but trying to use the same processing power on more pixels. Gamers don't like it for this reason and it then gets quite hot when the CPU and graphics are working flat out then throttle down to prevent overheating.

The pen is also generally considered to be better. That is I consider it to be better! Seriously though if you do some forum searching, a lot of pen users still prefer the pen on the SP2. It is certainly more reliable.

OP
Q

qwertyy

Congrats on your purchase! I just picked up an SP2 the other day as well, loving it so far. Tweaking it and found it funny it took a good 2-3 hours to get all the Windows updates for it!

Thank you :) I cannot wait until I finally receive it!

Well, the SP3 was the first upgrade where the main product line, the i5, was completely unchanged.

That also means the graphics is the same but trying to use the same processing power on more pixels. Gamers don't like it for this reason and it then gets quite hot when the CPU and graphics are working flat out then throttle down to prevent overheating.

The pen is also generally considered to be better. That is I consider it to be better! Seriously though if you do some forum searching, a lot of pen users still prefer the pen on the SP2. It is certainly more reliable.

Would you say that there are less throttling issues on the SP2? Not that it means much to me since I'm only going to be using it as a handwriting device, but just out of curiosity :)

InspectHerGadget

Thank you :) I cannot wait until I finally receive it!

Would you say that there are less throttling issues on the SP2? Not that it means much to me since I'm only going to be using it as a handwriting device, but just out of curiosity :)
Sure, less throttling as there is more SURFACE area to dissipate heat. You should also have zero issues with the pen. It works very well. I am at a customer office now typing away on my lap with my SP2.