What's new

Finally: Daisy-Chaining Monitors With DisplayPort 1.2!

Awesome setup! I'm curious, when do you guys need this dual monitor setup? Is it only for playing games? I'm assuming you're not using a desktop PC, and the SP2 replaces it?

T-Bob

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am using mine as a replacement for a work laptop and another tablet. I need multiple displays for work as I cut and paste a lot between spreadsheets, docs and PPTS. So I dock it and work and then undock and go.

Kiri

Awesome setup! I'm curious, when do you guys need this dual monitor setup? Is it only for playing games? I'm assuming you're not using a desktop PC, and the SP2 replaces it?

I'm using mine primarily for work. I need reference monitors when coding, writing reports, and using spreadsheets. I've actually been trying to test the SP2's power and it's fantastic for me. My test used one monitor to display gauges (temp+cpu+ram), a 2nd monitor to play a 1080p YouTube video full screen, and a 3rd monitor playing a windowed steam game @ 1080p. It was Magic 2014... so not too intensive. But my cpu temps averaged 62C, CPU usage at 50%, and ram usage at 3.8gigs.

So all in all, SP2 is definitely a capable machine for multitasking

mtalinm

IMAG0338 (1).jpg

Here's my setup, with the SP2 in the Dock. The 2460x1440 27" monitor (landscape) is on the displayport, and the 1920x1080 24" monitor (portrait) is on a USB 2.0 DisplayLink connector.

Love portrait mode for working on Word documents, but the 27" is a bit too tall when rotated portrait.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

So here's what my setup looks like:

Dell U3014 Daisy-Chaining.jpg
The Dell U3011 is on the left (it is the one that is DP 1.1a), the U3014 (DP 1.2) is on the right and it is the one that is connected to my SP2.

I took pictures of the back, but you couldn't see much because the stands were obstructing the full views and you couldn't really see the ports because the cables are plugged up into the bottom of the monitors. I figured that you'd get more from the setup manual of the U3014:

Dell U3014 Daisy-Chaining Setup.jpg
In the setup diagram above, the monitor on the left with the red cable would be my U3014 and the one on the right would be my U3011. It really is as simple as the above: Just connect the DP cable from the Output of the U3014 and into the Input of the U3011.

I wanted this setup since SP1, so I had done lots and lots of research. Based on some postings I found across the Internet, I didn't want to take any chances, so I made sure that all my DP cables were DP 1.2-compliant.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

What's your take on the DVI out splitters (for 2 monitors using one DVI output?
Let me start off by stating that the reason I bought two 30" monitors with 2560x1600 resolution was because I wanted both to be running at that resolution.

Before I had my Surface, I had my ThinkPad laptop connected to the Dell U3011 and a 27" Hannspree which did 1920x1080 max. Besides the two screens being physically different in size, the fact that they were running in different resolutions meant that dragging windows from one to the other would result in the windows and their content being resized. For me, that's annoying; I want to be able to see the exact same thing in the exact same way, regardless of which external monitor.

That being said, since the SP1 didn't support DP 1.2, I tried several products which provided multi-monitor support; some worked, some did not. With the exception of the USB 3.0-based adapter, those that worked didn't allow me to run my monitors at their maximum 2560x1600 resolution--and some of these were DVI-based, while others were HDMI-based, etc. The bottom line is that I wanted max resolution with audio and video, which my monitors provided natively.

So in the end, it all depends on what you find acceptable per your use case. Like I stated, some of those products worked as advertised, but I just wasn't willing to compromise on the max 1920x1080 resolution, for example. So that's why I eventually settled on the USB 3.0 adapter and why I continued to chase after true DP 1.2 daisy-chaining functionality.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Awesome! Glad to hear your DP chaining works well. I'm actually just using a USB video out adapter + DP for my setup. I agree that there isn't a noticeable degradation in quality from the USB video which s awesome. It's even connected to USB hub that is powering an external dvd burner, 1TB HDD, wireless dongle, and a SD card. No lag whatsoever!

Here's a pic of my setup haha (excuse the wiring, i'll fix it later)
First of all, I don't believe you'll ever fix the wiring. It's a mess now and it will continue to be a mess. Trust me, I know from experience. :big smile:

But, yeah, USB 3.0 is great and all the more reason I am upset that the Docking Station didn't have more/all USB 3.0 ports.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Yes, my SP is my main computing device and it replaced my laptop.

When at home and working, I need those external monitors to increase my efficiency and productivity. For me, it is also straining on the eyes to do multi-window work on the native SP screen, since it is so small.

ohioDroid

It took a lot of patience--and disappointment in the SP 1--but, finally, with the SP2, there is DisplayPort 1.2 support and my setup now has my second external monitor daisy-chained to the first. Finally!!! :big smile:

My primary monitor connected to the SP2 is the Dell U3014 (it is the one that is DP 1.2-compliant) and the second monitor is the Dell U3011 (it is DP 1.1a only). In order to support both monitors at maximum 2560x1600 resolution with the SP1, I had to connect the U3011 to the USB 3.0 port which, of course, took away bandwidth from the other USB devices. I must say, though, that lag was never an issue and it worked great, albeit to the detriment of my USB throughput.

I was bracing myself for some sort of additional setup but, much to my delightful surprise, out of the box, the daisy-chained monitors worked when I booted up my SP2. I love to see my fantastic device sporting up-to-date technologies!

Though the SP2 is more of an incremental upgrade over the SP1, I really think that it was a necessary upgrade to bring it up-to-date, feature- and technology-wise (CPU, battery, display/graphics, docking accessory, etc.). So far, I continue to love this product and can't wait for its next releases and the features they bring.

Hello! This is my first post on the forums. I'm going to buy a SP2 (as soon as they are in stock on the MS Store again) and have two monitors that only accept DVI input.
I can get a DisplayPort to DVI adapter from Monoprice or Amazon, that isn't much of a problem. A DisplayPort 1.2 to two DVI adapter seems sort of expensive. So...

What USB 3.0 video adapter did you use? Or what adapters do people recommend in general? I'm planning on buying a USB 3.0 Hub (such as the ORICO H727RK-U3 -BK 7 ) to make sure I don't use up the one USB port, as I will not be getting the Pro Dock.

Edit: Also planning on getting this Mini Displayport to DVI/HDMI adapter from Monoprice. SP1 owners on XDA reported that it worked fine, and even transmitted Audio when using HDMI (so it doubles for connecting to TVs, awesome).

Last edited:

HoaxBug

Hi,

I currently have two standard HDMI/DVI/VGA Monitors, 1920x1080 and I have purchased a Surface Pro 2, finding that I can only connect to one of these monitors.

After seeing your helpful posts, I am looking into the following, and wonder if this is likely to work.

I am looking into getting a single 29" Dell monitors which supports DisplayPort 1.2 Daisychaining. I wonder if I can then use the DP out from this monitor to connect to the HDMI or DVI of one of my old displays. Will this work, or does it need to be a DisplayPort monitor?

Appreciate any feedback.

Regards,
Chris

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All of the monitors in the Chain need to support DisplayPort Daisy Chaining, so you would need two DP Monitors. Another option is to buy a USB to VGA/DVI/HDMI adapter and run the third monitor off that. Those usually run $40 USD.

mtalinm

All of the monitors in the Chain need to support DisplayPort Daisy Chaining, so you would need two DP Monitors. Another option is to buy a USB to VGA/DVI/HDMI adapter and run the third monitor off that. Those usually run $40 USD.

I find that the USB adapters run slow and drain the CPU. Eager to try the daisy-chain thingy.