What's new

Finally: Daisy-Chaining Monitors With DisplayPort 1.2!

Omni

Happy so far, but I'm mainly using them for work (RDP Sessions to servers, Development in Visual Studio, Mail, Web browsing) so I don't require that much from a monitor, so I guess it depends for what you are going to use it for. Haven't tried gaming (and probably never will) on them for example.

To be honest I never play games either... its just something I noticed while comparing. Thanks for the info Ive just ordered one :)

Wow, amzn has the U2414H for $300 right now.

I already have a 27" dell monitor that does not have DP1.2 ... does anyone know whether I could daisy-chain these two? I was thinking

SP2's displayport plugged into U2414H, then the U2414H plugged into my 27" dell monitor.

Any chance of that working? Or do both monitors need to support DP1.2?

Actually it was $260 in December. From Dell.com among other places. Can't find any deals like that on it anymore though. However, if anybody knows of someplace, please let me know! Because I would like to buy 2 of them and save some money.

And to answer your other question, you only need one monitor with DP out. If you have another monitor which has DP in, then you can Daisy Chain them together. Connect Surface MiniDP out to the monitor with both ports via the DP in, then on the same monitor connect a second cable from its DP out to the DP in on your other monitor.

mtalinm

Thanks so much EthanDavis. Just ordered one and compatible cables. Look forward to saying bye-bye to the DisplayLink adapter

mtalinm

WP_20140120_11_07_01_Pro.jpgFinally, finally got this working. Setup is

Surface pro 2 connected to Dell u2414h via dp 1.2 cable, which is connected to dell 2713hm via dp 1.2 cable.

I have the 24" monitor in portrait mode (1920x1080) and the 27" in landscape mode (2560x1440).

Total cost (aside from SP2 was $300 for 24" monitor, $700 for 27" monitor, and about $50 for cables). Only wrinkle was that the dp 1.2 had to be "activated" on the u2414h via on-screen controls.

Last edited:

benjaminleroux

Has anyone ever tried a DisplayPort MST hub? I would like to use 2 external monitors of the same make and size but my current monitor is a DELL U2713HM which has DP 1.2 but no DP port out... so daisy chaining is not an option.

I have read about a few of them .. and the club 3d one seems nice buts it's a DisplayPort and not mini display port as the Surface needs. Accell as the UltraAV Mini DisplayPort 1.2 MST Multi-Display Hub but I have read that it might not be compatible with the surface pro 2.

I would like to avoid the USB route as the GPU is more than capable of driving 2 external monitors @ 1920 x 1080

Any thoughts?

PerG

Has anyone ever tried a DisplayPort MST hub? I would like to use 2 external monitors of the same make and size but my current monitor is a DELL U2713HM which has DP 1.2 but no DP port out... so daisy chaining is not an option.

I have read about a few of them .. and the club 3d one seems nice buts it's a DisplayPort and not mini display port as the Surface needs. Accell as the UltraAV Mini DisplayPort 1.2 MST Multi-Display Hub but I have read that it might not be compatible with the surface pro 2.

I would like to avoid the USB route as the GPU is more than capable of driving 2 external monitors @ 1920 x 1080

Any thoughts?

Haven't tried the Club3D but you can use mini displayport to displayport cables!? It's the same displayport standard, just a smaller contact (just like mini/micro USB and all other types of USB contacts)?

mikecurran1980

Any thoughts?

I have the EVGA hub and could not get it to work with my older Dell monitors (1680x1050), however it worked fine with my Asus 27" monitor (1920x1080) using a Displayport to DVI cable with an HDMI adapter.

Duke

The possibility to use multiple monitors was a requirement from my side before choosing the Surface Pro 2 since I wanted to use it as my main work computer (previously I had one external 23" monitor and a laptop with 15.6" monitor). I looked at some Dell monitors (the only manufacturer I found that had monitors with DP 1.2 out?) and finally selected two Dell U2414H since it had a very attractive price (I had a somewhat tight budget). They also look really great since they have a very thin border!

I'm still awaiting the docking station and Type Cover 2 since they were out of stock, but the setup works anyway! (I will fix the cabling when my dock arrives! ;) )

I had some small problems (only happened two times so far) when resuming from sleep and the last monitor in the chain not wanting to receive any signal. A reboot of the Surface seems to fix that... Hoping that some driver update might fix that...

The monitors are nice since they have a USB 3.0 Hub so I have daisy chained the USB as well, giving me a total of 7 USB 3.0 ports that I use for headphones, iphone cable and wireless receievers for mouse and keyboard and so on!

View attachment 1495

I have successfully attached the two monitors you have mentioned. The problem I have is it is currently identifying the tablet as monitor 1 and BOTH external monitors as monitor 2. I want to have a setup where one external monitor is the Primary Monitor (mirroring the tablet) and the other external monitor is just extra real estate. I have the docking station. None of the extend display settings seem to accomplish this. Based on your picture, you seem to be doing what I want. How did you set this up? Thanks

PerG

I have successfully attached the two monitors you have mentioned. The problem I have is it is currently identifying the tablet as monitor 1 and BOTH external monitors as monitor 2. I want to have a setup where one external monitor is the Primary Monitor (mirroring the tablet) and the other external monitor is just extra real estate. I have the docking station. None of the extend display settings seem to accomplish this. Based on your picture, you seem to be doing what I want. How did you set this up? Thanks

Have you enabled displayport 1.2 on the monitor thats connected to the surface? It's disabled by default on the U2414H so you need to enable it in the menu on the monitor!

carpecervisi

I found the DU2414H package on our corporate Dell account page. It's two U2414H monitors and the MDS14 dual monitor stand for $599. Pretty good discount over normal pricing, $799...but really wanted a 16:10 aspect ratio. Can't quite pull the trigger on it yet.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll see if it's cool to give out the offer code.

Horn

Really great info! I am looking for Dual touch monitors and in my reading did not see any of the model's that were touch. Has any one has any experience with Dual touch monitors?

lsobrado

Any thoughts?

YES!
EVGA - Products - EVGA DisplayPort Hub - 200-DP-1301-L1

and the result are in: doesn't work :(
I have a threat open with MS support
Surface pro 2 does not work properly with EVGA display port hub - Microsoft Community