What's new

Finally got the Pro ... but

OnTheSurface

So after not wanting to wait for a 128gb model to replenish, I decided to get the smaller version with a large MSD card. So far, I love it. This is coming from someone who has used nothing but iPad since it's release.

Now, unfortunately, that is where the praise ends. I have a clump of dead pixels right square in the middle of my screen. Likely 4-5 in total. I will be returning the unit tomorrow for another, and hoping I don't have the same issue.

I plan to replace the hard drive soon, which was another reason I decided to go with the lesser expensive of the two choices. I can use the $100 towards the drive now.

Anyways, impressed with the device, not at all impressed with the QC on Microsoft's behalf.

bosamar

Quality Control issues happen, MS will swap it no problem. Now as I read your post IMO you plan to swap hard drives? That's dangerous IMO. Good luck with that. Please report results.

machistmo

So after not wanting to wait for a 128gb model to replenish, I decided to get the smaller version with a large MSD card. So far, I love it. This is coming from someone who has used nothing but iPad since it's release.

Now, unfortunately, that is where the praise ends. I have a clump of dead pixels right square in the middle of my screen. Likely 4-5 in total. I will be returning the unit tomorrow for another, and hoping I don't have the same issue.

I plan to replace the hard drive soon, which was another reason I decided to go with the lesser expensive of the two choices. I can use the $100 towards the drive now.

Anyways, impressed with the device, not at all impressed with the QC on Microsoft's behalf.

Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown - iFixit I am considering a 256 but man that looks like a HERCULEAN task to replace the drive. Though it seems theoretically possible. And it IS an MSATA.

lyrragnus

I have seen a couple of posts about dead pixels on various sites. Don't know if the teardown states who actually makes the surface pro for MS.

OP
O

OnTheSurface

Well, I was able to find another one on my way to Kingston this morning, and they had some TypeCovers in stock as well, so I picked one up.

This display seems to be free of defects, and the MSD slot actually works as well. The other one had a spring broken so the card would not come back out without a knife. I think that first one I got was a real lemon.

I have installed Lightroom 4 on it, and started doing some basic edits. Very impressed with the power from this little unit. I can't wait to connect my Cinema Display for real editing.