What's new

Finally, Pen Customization!!!

Now we can make OneNote 2016 open up with a single click. Anyway to make the double click for screen shot open up in OneNote 2016 rather than the touch friendly version? Only thing I can come up with is making it open the Snipping Tool. It would be nice to have it ready to crop like the other version.

OP
A

ABswl13

Good question and as of right now, I've only been able to locate the OneNote 2016.exe file to let me open the desktop version of OneNote instead of the modern version. But I haven't found the file to launch the screen shot for the desktop version yet. There's probably a way to do so though.

mtmowl

Ok... I installed the Surface app update, found that OneNote 2016 won't open, and now my windows button (keyboard or screen) won't open. Reboot, etc. were no help. Any ideas?

Resolved!

Holding down the power button for 45 seconds, rebooting un-froze the buttons. Resyncing with OneNote reestablished its link. I'm going to deselect OneNote 16 from the top button until I hear that it works.

Thanks.

Last edited:

mtmowl

Also, after the Surface update, I can no longer open up the settings, either from the right.
Something's not right with the update, it seems.

OP
A

ABswl13

Ok... I installed the Surface app update, found that OneNote 2016 won't open, and now my windows button (keyboard or screen) won't open. Reboot, etc. were no help. Any ideas?
That's odd. It worked fine for me. Maybe try uninstalling the Surface App and reinstalling it...? Which OneNote 2016 file did you select to have open when you click the top button of the pen?

mtmowl

Search doesn't work, either, but I think it was "OSPPREARM.EXE", the only one that came up for me.

Any idea how to uninstall the Surface app when I can't open the Tiles or do a search? I can't find the utility in file mgr.

Last edited:
OP
A

ABswl13

Search doesn't work, either, but I think it was "OSPPREARM.EXE", the only one that came up for me.

Any idea how to uninstall the Surface app when I can't open the Tiles or do a search? I can't find the utility in file mgr.
Yikes, that's beyond my scope of knowledge. Have you tried holding the volume up rocker for 30 seconds while holding the power button?
Step 1: Go to Start
b4f009a3-1e1b-48a7-8cc4-0da6ec91ade7.png
, and select Power > Shut down.
If you can’t shut down your Surface normally, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
Step 2: After your Surface turns off, press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds. Then press and release the power button again to turn your Surface back on.

I'm so sorry you're having such issues with this update.

mtmowl

Thanks. That's essentially what I did, and it freed up the frozen buttons.

Upon opening the Surface - Pen - settings, my selected button function was gone, and I had to reestablish a connection with my OneNote acct, but now all is well.

I think I'll wait til I hear that connecting to OneNote 2016 is a working option.

OP
A

ABswl13

Thanks. That's essentially what I did, and it freed up the frozen buttons.

Upon opening the Surface - Pen - settings, my selected button function was gone, and I had to reestablish a connection with my OneNote acct, but now all is well.

I think I'll wait til I hear that connecting to OneNote 2016 is a working option.
I'm glad to hear that your Surface is working again!

gjblack71

I found a post that gave instructions to get the sp4 pen to work on the sp3, and can confirm it works.

First, you have un-pair your pen in the Bluetooth settings.

Then you have to uninstall the pen drivers (Device Manager: Right click: Uninstall and remove files the following entries: "HID-compliant pen" & "Surface Pen Settings").

Then you have to download the Surface Pro 4 drivers (Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center) SurfacePro4_Win10_151203_0.zip.

Extract the ZIP file, navigate down to \Drivers\Pen and install the following:
SurfacePen
SurfacePenPairing
SurfacePenSettingsDriver

By going into each directory and right clicking the .INF file and select "Install"

Restart your SP3 Then re-pair your pen in Settings, Devices, Bluetooth.

Then you can open the Surface App and you will see the additional pen settings.

from
Microsoft now lets you customize the buttons on Surface Pen with any apps you want

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found a post that gave instructions to get the sp4 pen to work on the sp3, and can confirm it works.

First, you have un-pair your pen in the Bluetooth settings.

Then you have to uninstall the pen drivers (Device Manager: Right click: Uninstall and remove files the following entries: "HID-compliant pen" & "Surface Pen Settings").

Then you have to download the Surface Pro 4 drivers (Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center) SurfacePro4_Win10_151203_0.zip.

Extract the ZIP file, navigate down to \Drivers\Pen and install the following:
SurfacePen
SurfacePenPairing
SurfacePenSettingsDriver

By going into each directory and right clicking the .INF file and select "Install"

Restart your SP3 Then re-pair your pen in Settings, Devices, Bluetooth.

Then you can open the Surface App and you will see the additional pen settings.

from
Microsoft now lets you customize the buttons on Surface Pen with any apps you want
Ah ha. That's what's up with mine. Thenone works fine except the Bluetooth bits but I never really used them so hadn't thought much of it.

Thankss