What's new

Finally, Surface Pen Button Remapping (Not from Microsoft)

kozak79

RadialMenu now lets you remap the 2 buttons on the pen to Right Click and Middle Click. It also supports Hover Click, which is a must for artists. This mimics Wacom Pen button mapping and turn the SP3 into a Cintiq killer. I've already done some Mudbox sculpting and it's really great. I was able to sculpt while on the subway without the need for a keyboard.

http://radialmenu.weebly.com/

OP
K

kozak79

It's really mostly beneficial for applications that have good wacom pen support. The ones I use are Maya, Mudbox and Zbrush. Here is a sculpt i made today completely on the surface. I made the base mesh in Maya using keyboard and mouse. I sculpted the detail using Mudbox, RadialMenu, and only the Surface Pen while taking the subway this morning.

base.jpg sculpt.jpg

ctitanic

It's really mostly beneficial for applications that have good wacom pen support. The ones I use are Maya, Mudbox and Zbrush. Here is a sculpt i made today completely on the surface. I made the base mesh in Maya using keyboard and mouse. I sculpted the detail using Mudbox, RadialMenu, and only the Surface Pen while taking the subway this morning.

View attachment 4622 View attachment 4623
You made my day! I'm so happy to see that the SP3 became or have the potential to be an useful tool to this sector of the market.

bluegrass

You sculptors or geniuses. Love it when you guys show that the Surface works in that corner of the universe. Show us more when you get a chance.

violet182

Guys, How did you get the pen button remapping to work.
I have managed to get toolbar creator to work after enabling it to run as administrator (it wasn't previously not working on programs that were running as administrator).

But when I remap the buttons it doesn't seem to change anything when I press them in Zbrush for example. To I have to enable a setting somewhere?

OP
K

kozak79

Hmm, running RadialMenu as administrator works for me. I use automatic profile switching for my toolbars, make sure to select the zbrush.exe when creating the zbrush toolbar. Sometimes you have to quit RadialMenu and run it again when zbrush is running. When you click within Zbrush, it should automatically switch to the zbrush toolbar.

Here is how I setup my Zbrush toolbar. The pen button remapping is to mimic wacom mapping for most 3D applications.

ToolbarSettings.png PenButtonRemapping.png ZbrushToolbar.png

Last edited:

kidpiglet

RadialMenu now lets you remap the 2 buttons on the pen to Right Click and Middle Click. It also supports Hover Click, which is a must for artists. This mimics Wacom Pen button mapping and turn the SP3 into a Cintiq killer. I've already done some Mudbox sculpting and it's really great. I was able to sculpt while on the subway without the need for a keyboard.

http://radialmenu.weebly.com/

I just downloaded the latest version of this app (jan 26 update) but it would not run on my system (just got a crash popup everytime I try to start up saying the program stopped running). I downloaded version RadialMenuSetup_x64_0.4.4.316.exe and got it to run, but can you tell me where the setting for hover click is and which version you use? I don't see it anywhere in the options to enable it :(

update: ok from the link I installed, it turns out there is no setting and hover click is automatic! But I was a bit confused because the settings under remapping are different:

Button 1 = the sp3 pen's top barrel button
Button 2 = isn't assigned to any of the sp3 pen's stylus (would have hoped it would work with the purple tip button but it doesn't)
Button 3 = the sp3 pen's bottom barrel button

Last edited: