What's new

Firefox for Modern-Metro 8 UI is dead

eelpout

I'm pretty sure I didn't see this posted anywhere here.

Not that what Mozilla released (as a beta and mostly Nightlies) was any great shakes, but this kinda sucks. If my understanding is correct, this was never intended to be an RT release anyway so what was the point? (Or am wrong about that?)

Maybe they'll start over some time in the future and do it right.

Mozilla puts Firefox for Windows 8 on hold indefinitely - Neowin

Firefox for Windows 8 is dead, states low user adoption | Windows Phone Central

EMINENT

I'm pretty sure I didn't see this posted anywhere here.

Not that what Mozilla released (as a beta and mostly Nightlies) was any great shakes, but this kinda sucks. If my understanding is correct, this was never intended to be an RT release anyway so what was the point? (Or am wrong about that?)

Maybe they'll start over some time in the future and do it right.

Mozilla puts Firefox for Windows 8 on hold indefinitely - Neowin

Firefox for Windows 8 is dead, states low user adoption | Windows Phone Central

Yeah, some of the dumbest things I've ever read when I saw that the other day. I've posted the below through various forums and to Mozilla.

No usage? As much as I like FF as it's been my only desktop browser for a while now, I've recently dumped it in favor of modern IE because of IE's ease of tab syncing between my Surface 2 and pc. I only use it now if I have to.

The reason I didn't use the beta was because it was horrible. Fact was it didn't work right, it was missing lots of features, it wasn't available for my Surface 2, to use it meant disabling modern IE which works great. It just wasn't an option to use a horrible effort.

And that is why I didn't use it. Not because I wasn't needing or wanting to.
Unfortunately this is a blow, but hardly a loss as IE works pretty good. I guess we just forget they're intentions of bringing about their own tablet os in this whole picture.

The reality is it was never good on Android or IOS either and they can keep their worthless, slow effort.

CrippsCorner

It's really not good though. When other companies get wind of dropping Modern UI apps it's only going to spiral imo...
frown.png

Tesfaye

I really like the Windows 8.1 and Modern IE experience on the SP2. For what I do during my day to day, I don't require or feel the need to use Chrome or Firefox. For once I invested in a high end device that isn't disappointing me in some way. I love my SP2(256GB)!