What's new

Firmware 27 Jan Does NOT resolve Sleep Issues

ncameron

The new firmware may be helpful, but it doesn't address my fundamental concern with my SB as a laptop which is that we are in a Catch-22 when it comes to a proper Sleep mode.

When Connected Standby is NOT enabled in the Registry - the 'powercfg /availablesleepstates' command shows the following:

"The following sleep states are available on this system:

Hibernate
Fast Startup​

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.​

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available"​

In this condition the following also applies:

• there are three Power Plans available - Balanced, High Performance and Power Saver
  • Sleep is not option on the any Power Plan or in the Start Menu power options
When Connected Standby IS enabled in the Registry - the 'powercfg /availablesleepstates' command shows the following:

"The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected
Hibernate
Fast Startup​

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.​

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available​

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Wireless networking in standby is disabled by policy"​

In this condition the following also applies:

• there is only one Power Plan available - Balanced
  • Sleep is an option on the power plan and in the Start Menu power options
The problem with this condition is that while Sleep is an option, it is obviously only Connected Standby (S0) which is still using too much power for my liking. I would much rather have Connected Standby turned off with the system cycling through the other Sleep States over time as it is supposed to work.

My boring old pre-Windows 10 desktop says it can support:

Standby (S3)
Hibernate
Hybrid Sleep
Fast Startup​

That'll do me - when will I be able to have this level of functionality on my Surface Book, that cost 8 time as much?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The S3 is a legacy Power State, as is Hybrid Sleep, S0iX is replacing it. Unfortunately, Intel made fundamental changes on how it implemented S0iX in SkyLake and has issues in getting the SoC to enter the lowest power state known as DRIPS (Deepest Runtime Idle Platform State).

On any system that is designed to use S0iX, disabling its default behavior leaves only S4 and S5 power states available.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure I follow all that; but is there an way to enable a deeper sleep mode on the SB?
The Firmware updates is the first of fixes to bring that functionality. There should be an improvement but I would expect we see additional fixes. Currently the best fix is to enable S0iX and have it hibernate after 30 minutes.

suave

The Firmware updates is the first of fixes to bring that functionality. There should be an improvement but I would expect we see additional fixes. Currently the best fix is to enable S0iX and have it hibernate after 30 minutes.
How do you enable SoiX?

SeanP

Problem not solved. And I am not going to go through all the trouble of enabling SoiX at this point. Currently, I have it set to Hibernate when closing the lid vs Connected Standby. The absolutely crazy thing here is that when I hibernate, I lose about 4-5% battery over an 10 hour period. If I actually power down completely, I lose 8-10% over that same time period. Will be checking tonight to see if that was one thing that was fixed.

OP
N

ncameron

OK; an official Microsoft post re this update (available on their Forum) says (inter alia):

"We know some of you are still experiencing issues, including issues related to power management, and we are working to address those as quickly as possible."

So - maybe the next Firmware update...

SeanP

Months of the same issue and still not fixed. I don't even know what was supposedly fixed on this. Nothing for me changed at all. Still the same connected standby issues. The Auto Rotate on/off message still appears on my screen. Everything else remains the same as before. So what has MS been working on? Who the hell is running these patches and "fixes"? Do they have some sort of intern program that they dumped this stuff on? Unreal.