What's new

Firmware 27 Jan Does NOT resolve Sleep Issues

tdf2001

In my case the update actually seem to make a few things worse. My main Dell P2415Q screen flickers once a minute, even after a reboot. I used to only have this if I docked and undocked the machine. There are some other items as well that don't work anymore after last night's update. Terrible.

eallan

OK; an official Microsoft post re this update (available on their Forum) says (inter alia):

"We know some of you are still experiencing issues, including issues related to power management, and we are working to address those as quickly as possible."

So - maybe the next Firmware update...

I don't want to play this game anymore :(

neshibble

In my case it made it worse.... simply because it fixed it occasionally and gave me the confidence to leave it asleep. Of course I needed it one morning and it wouldn't turn on and I was in class and there were no outlets. When I did manage to charge it looked at the battery report and yup, 80% in one night. If they can't fix the issue soon I'll probably return my surface book... even though I absolutely love it because it kinda needs to hold a charge.

maybethistime

My surface book is doing ok with about 1% an hour drain per hour but I left hello off. I think that is the main culprit right now.

OP
N

ncameron

In my case it made it worse.... simply because it fixed it occasionally and gave me the confidence to leave it asleep. Of course I needed it one morning and it wouldn't turn on and I was in class and there were no outlets. When I did manage to charge it looked at the battery report and yup, 80% in one night. If they can't fix the issue soon I'll probably return my surface book... even though I absolutely love it because it kinda needs to hold a charge.

There is no doubt that - at the moment - it is prudent to Hibernate only, and not Sleep.

Hopefully fixed in a future Firmware Upgrade...

neshibble

Yeah, I had it at hibernate previously but I thought this firmware update fixed it. Now I'm having it switch to Hibernate after 30 minutes asleep.

mtalinm

my best guess is that it is not a SB-specific issue. rather, machines with Skylake chips and win10 do not sleep properly. my Dell xps 15 also wont' sleep. i think that is why the MSFT employee who blogged an apology blamed "new silicon" (i.e., the Intel chip), and also why they are having so much trouble fixing the problem. I think this is also why apple hasn't released skylake laptops.