What's new

Firmware changes affecting Throttling

dman27

I just applied the new Firmware update from yesterday and did several Benchmarks on XTU. It's now posting the highest scores I've had without undervolting. 372 and 373.

The processor would rarely go below 2GHZ and never lower than 1.6GhZ.

Do anyone know of any specific changes MS made to affect this?

Edit: it also picks up the Wi-Fi on each restart and Hibernate correctly.

kundas1

sounds promising... I wasn't affected with wifi or throttling problems, but glad it's helping others out.

Liam2349

I just applied the new Firmware update from yesterday and did several Benchmarks on XTU. It's now posting the highest scores I've had without undervolting. 372 and 373.

What were your previous scores?

kristalsoldier

This is on the i5?

wynand32

Hmmm... Fascinating. Microsoft didn't say anything about the update addressing any throttling issues, but of course there's nothing that says they're going to list out everything that's addressed.

Would love to see if other folks can confirm this. I didn't do any throttling-specific tests, because it's not been an issue for me, but I'd love to know if this can be reproduced.

OP
D

dman27

The previous scores were all in the 340-350 range. This is an I7 256/ 8GB ram model.

The strange thing is they seemed to have tweaked OTHER setting rather than those in XTU.

Also Note, I changed the battery profile to basically all performance using my custom setting.

However, this was changed when I first setup the SP3.

ctitanic

Wow, that's really interesting!

thelead

Signed up just to say that I've noticed much less throttling today! I was on the fence about keeping this thing but this has me leaning towards keeping it.