What's new

Firmware changes affecting Throttling

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Signed up just to say that I've noticed much less throttling today! I was on the fence about keeping this thing but this has me leaning towards keeping it.
I think they will continue to improve this and from what iv seen they have headroom left to work with. its a shame they don't get more of this out of the way sooner. They need to rethink their project management approach.

thelead

I think they will continue to improve this and from what iv seen they have headroom left to work with. its a shame they don't get more of this out of the way sooner. They need to rethink their project management approach.
Yeah, I expect the fan to come on every so often but before the update, just streaming live tv while browsing forums would have the fans kicking up within a half hour. I've been doing both for over 2 hours now and haven't heard the fan kick in yet! I'm kinda excited about it because I really wanted to keep this thing.

Not only have the fans not kicked in, it also feels cooler to the touch.

Thank you for the news OP! I also have an i7 256 with XTU benchmarks in the 340-350 range... 350's when I undervolted the CPU and graphics about -60mV. My machine did not seem to like undervolting the processor cache.

I re-ran the test and did notice the processor freq was maintained at 2.0 or greater but I only got a 335 mark? My lowest yet using factory settings.

Last edited:

morenoestebann

Great info guys!!! Keep it up!!! I'll get my SP3 i7 256 on my trip to NY or Miami on October, moreover if MS do the responsable thing and solve this issues.