What's new

Firmware Release Day Results Here

jrapdx

Well, a number of updates have arrived (Pacific time == 10:37), including one Defender update, 5 "Windows 8.1" security-related and OS software fixes, and finally, one "System Hardware Update" (103 KB) from 2013-10-24.

None of the above seems to be the overdue firmware update. Makes me wonder if it's even going to be sent out today at all.

JRA

WoRie

Just received all the aforementioned updates as well. however, no firmware. will return the SP2 ASAP and get a new one with the new CPU, if any are available over here

SP2 256GB in Germany

Philtastic

Just received all the aforementioned updates as well. however, no firmware. will return the SP2 ASAP and get a new one with the new CPU, if any are available over here

SP2 256GB in Germany

This is probably good advice for anyone who can still exchange it right now. My previous SP2 had the self-boot and battery drain issues whereas my exchange unit with the 4300U has never self-booted and drained in the week that I've had it where I'd often leave it overnight unplugged. Never found it on in the morning. It's nice to have a product that actually works well!

jrapdx

This is probably good advice for anyone who can still exchange it right now. My previous SP2 had the self-boot and battery drain issues whereas my exchange unit with the 4300U has never self-booted and drained in the week that I've had it where I'd often leave it overnight unplugged. Never found it on in the morning. It's nice to have a product that actually works well!

I'm beginning to think that's the best way to go. Since my SP2 was purchased less than a month ago, and I bought the "extended warranty", I might have a shot at exchanging it for a newer unit.

I guess we'll see what happens...

dougpaw57

I'm beginning to think that's the best way to go. Since my SP2 was purchased less than a month ago, and I bought the "extended warranty", I might have a shot at exchanging it for a newer unit.

I guess we'll see what happens...

If you bought it less than a month ago, you would not have gotten the faulty firmware patch. I received my Pro 2 on December 18th and never got the patch because it was already pulled. My unit runs great.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

If you bought it less than a month ago, you would not have gotten the faulty firmware patch. I received my Pro 2 on December 18th and never got the patch because it was already pulled. My unit runs great.

And like Doug is saying for anyone who got their unit after the firmware patch was pulled, if your unit runs great why risk getting a unit that doesn't run as good just so you'll have the 4300u? It has b:)een pretty much proven here that most if not all will not notice any difference whatsoever!

I replaced mine because my screen flickered/dimmed and yes I got the 4300 but if I had a unit that ran like a top there is no way that I would ever send it to Microsoft, Apple, Asus, etc... in hopes of getting a better one back. There is just too much that can go wrong!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.:)

mennogreg

According to ZDNet:

As part of today's patch bundle, Microsoft is issuing a fix to its first-generation Intel-based Surface Pro firmware. The Surface Pro fix will be available "later today" for download from Windows Update. This fix addresses issues users have had with both the Type Cover 2 and Touch Cover 2 when running Windows 8.0 on Surface Pros.

What about the Surface Pro 2 firmware patch some were expecting to be out today? Microsoft pulled the December Surface Pro 2 update from its download site after a firmware glitch caused a number of those attempting to install the December Surface Pro 2 update to encounter serious battery-life problems. The December update for Surface Pro 2 included a patch that was originally designed to improve Surface Cover interaction including power-saving sleep functionality.

I've asked Microsoft about the Surface Pro 2 firmware update. I'm hearing from my sources that the fix for that one is still in the works. I don't have an ETA for it.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

According to ZDNet:

As part of today's patch bundle, Microsoft is issuing a fix to its first-generation Intel-based Surface Pro firmware. The Surface Pro fix will be available "later today" for download from Windows Update. This fix addresses issues users have had with both the Type Cover 2 and Touch Cover 2 when running Windows 8.0 on Surface Pros.

What about the Surface Pro 2 firmware patch some were expecting to be out today? Microsoft pulled the December Surface Pro 2 update from its download site after a firmware glitch caused a number of those attempting to install the December Surface Pro 2 update to encounter serious battery-life problems. The December update for Surface Pro 2 included a patch that was originally designed to improve Surface Cover interaction including power-saving sleep functionality.

I've asked Microsoft about the Surface Pro 2 firmware update. I'm hearing from my sources that the fix for that one is still in the works. I don't have an ETA for it.

Thanks for this find. I'm going to place a link for this in the 1st post to make it easier for newcomers to this thread.

eee

how´s your battery life? i got mine on the 27th so I dodged that firmware, but have crappy battery life. I'm suspecting that parts of the October update was also pulled, hence not giving December buyers the battery life improvement.