What's new

Firmware Release Day Results Here

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

how´s your battery life? i got mine on the 27th so I dodged that firmware, but have crappy battery life. I'm suspecting that parts of the October update was also pulled, hence not giving December buyers the battery life improvement.

I'm getting 6-7 hours just depending on what I'm doing. But since I got 3.5-4.5 on the Surface 1 I feel good about this.

tinycg

Just received all the aforementioned updates as well. however, no firmware. will return the SP2 ASAP and get a new one with the new CPU, if any are available over here

SP2 256GB in Germany

They said this to you?

Exchanges seem to be hit or miss on the 4300u, some are getting them, some are not. I didn't but my exchange unit with the 4200u doesnt have the dimming issue, has much much less backlight bleed and is actually charging :)

And I definitely had 2 support techs over the last 2 weeks give me the 14th unsolicited as the date of a new SP2 firmware issue.

LuckyL

Eventually my patience ran out and I just tried to create a request for exchange but the UK Surface Online Service Centre returns "An error occurred. please try again" on any action, whether checking warranty status or opening a request.

I start to regret this purchase. Big time.

Eventually my patience ran out and I just tried to create a request for exchange but the UK Surface Online Service Centre returns "An error occurred. please try again" on any action, whether checking warranty status or opening a request.

I start to regret this purchase. Big time.

same situation here for the past 2 1/2 weeks for me here in the US. Others have gotten an advanced exchange but MS's site just doesn't like me. My CreditCard has been charged 4 times now (currently 1 active hold) and no one at Microsoft knows why the process hasn't proceeded, still just waiting with my firmware compromised SP2.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

same situation here for the past 2 1/2 weeks for me here in the US. Others have gotten an advanced exchange but MS's site just doesn't like me. My CreditCard has been charged 4 times now (currently 1 active hold) and no one at Microsoft knows why the process hasn't proceeded, still just waiting with my firmware compromised SP2.

But Steve don't forget what I've told you twice and now this is the magical 3rd time.....

3rd time's the charm!:)

You deserve it anyway for sure!

dougpaw57

how´s your battery life? i got mine on the 27th so I dodged that firmware, but have crappy battery life. I'm suspecting that parts of the October update was also pulled, hence not giving December buyers the battery life improvement.

My battery life is almost twice what it was on my original Surface Pro, probably 7 hours most of the time.

jrapdx

If you bought it less than a month ago, you would not have gotten the faulty firmware patch. I received my Pro 2 on December 18th and never got the patch because it was already pulled. My unit runs great.

Actually, my SP2 received it's first update on 2013-12-15, just after I acquired it. The failed firmware update was installed the next day, on 2013-12-16, though the patch was issued on 2013-12-10.

I think the buggy update was "pulled" by MS on 12-18, so that's the reason you didn't get dinged by it. Otherwise, Windows Update will download patches months old. Just this morning there was an update from 2013-10-24 in the mix. Beats me why it's showing up now, but there it is.

macmee

1. I don't see the update
2. When I try to do an update anyway (codec update) it just fails with this error: 80073712
3. I click "get help with error 80073712" and it brings me to a page that says "not found"
4. This is the last time I'm ever giving Microsoft my money for any product ever

macmee

The symptoms I experience are:

1. random reboots
2. Sometimes the device crashes in sleep and wont come back on

what symptoms does yours have (just wondering)?

eelpout

Well, this a bit troubling. I've never had sleep problems before (SP2 w/4300u). Today after installing all the KB's, mine doesn't want to go to sleep on its own anymore. It does if I select it from the Power menu though.

Last edited:
OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Well, this a bit troubling. I've never had sleep problems before (SP2 w/4300u). Today after installing all the KB's, mine doesn't want to go to sleep on its own anymore. It does if I select it from the Power menu though.

macmee reported a little while ago that he talked to Microsoft Support tonight and was told that the firmware update will come out tomorrow so hopefully it will fix whatever is going on with yours too.

bertopl

I know this is in the SP2 section but the updates today made my SP1 screwy. I never had a problem with any of the previous updates, even the last one that dinged so many here. after the update and reboot, my wallpaper was gone. no biggie, just chose my image again and it reappeared. the wallpaper disappeared again after a couple of reboots and won't come back now, just a solid black background. then tried launching some metro apps. nothing happens, just a blank colored screen with a large icon of the app, such as mail or calendar and it just sits there. I finally got the metro apps running again, I'm thinking because I was toying around with the screen resolution since I'm having issues with a Google Chrome update today too. luckily nothing major but annoying nonetheless. not happy with this update at all.