What's new

Firmware Update 18 Nov

colvill

I just got a large firmware update to my i7 Surface Book.

Download and install went smoothly. It seems stable so far but it's only been 10 minutes.

Nuspieds

I just applied my update...it shutdown...rebooted...got the black screen that it was applying the update...Windows started...then got stuck at "Turning on camera."

I logged in manually, then it said it could not complete the update...trying again...

OP
C

colvill

and another software update incoming now. Looks like they are working hard at MS. I hope they solve everyone's problems soon.

thinkthis

I just applied my update...it shutdown...rebooted...got the black screen that it was applying the update...Windows started...then got stuck at "Turning on camera."

I logged in manually, then it said it could not complete the update...trying again...
I updated fine, but Windows Hellos is no BORKed as I also get stuck at the "turning on camera" prompt. Launching the camera app in windows caused an error, but then I reset windows a few times and it will now turn on at the desktop, still no Windows Hello.

So, glad they are updating the Surface Book quickly, but breaking the Windows Hello login seems like an oversight, unless they disabled it on purpose in the update until they fix other problems.

ABswl13

I updated fine, but Windows Hellos is no BORKed as I also get stuck at the "turning on camera" prompt. Launching the camera app in windows caused an error, but then I reset windows a few times and it will now turn on at the desktop, still no Windows Hello.

So, glad they are updating the Surface Book quickly, but breaking the Windows Hello login seems like an oversight, unless they disabled it on purpose in the update until they fix other problems.
I had the same issue but logged in with my pin. From there, I got a message saying something like Windows couldn't complete the update, but it was only because it needed another restart to install the firmware update. After restarting again, everything worked fine, including the camera. Hopefully that works for you too.

mcsenerd

Ditto on experience that ABswl13 had... No camera after install immediately, but logged in with PIN and then rebooted...Windows Hello worked just fine after that. Here's to hoping that this fixes some of the BSODs I've been having (and maybe...just maybe...some of the graphics driver craziness)

Nuspieds

When I checked again the update status, it said a reboot was required. It didn't say anything about failure, so I rebooted and everything now says success and no camera issues.

Darkhan

Did the update, had same camera issue no biggie, used pin logged in and rebooted and camera and everything seemed fine.
Ran 3dmark firestrike before update 1907 score after update 783 score? And before update 3dmark showed card as unknown nvidia now it shows it as surface book 940m.
So I rebooted ran 3dmark again this time 802 score so basically this update dropped my gpu by half?
I have the i7 512 model.

ABswl13

Well..., I just experienced another Display freeze while in Edge Browser, but after detaching the top into "clipboard" mode, it started working again even when I redocked it into the keyboard base. So, progress I guess....