What's new

Firmware Update 2 Dec

Installed and after reboot BSOD... rebooted again, and it seems to have installed???

Display driver is 11/20

Any ideas on how to check the firmware dates to make sure they installed?
firware%20Dec%202%20drivers.png

LewsTherin

Well, I was one of the few people with no issues on my SB (i5/256/dgpu), no BSOD or driver crashes.
Since this update, I've had a dozen "internal power" BSODs in less than 2 hours...fudge...

Guess I'll try a system reset and start fresh :/

Telstar1948

There's always something, it seems. My SB appears to be doing better after the updates. Better scrolling in my browser(s), no DD's yet or BSOD's (yet). I don't detach my clipboard often, but I noticed in the past doing so would sometimes glitch something. Haven't tried it since the update...OK...I'm a coward...think I'll leave it alone until I need to detach it!

BigZAJ

Installed fine... reboot fine... then locked up (no BSOD just completely unresponsive). Hard reboot and it appears to be working fine.

No improvement on dock... still can't use two Mini DP to DP monitors (only one at a time). Still having USB issues.

SB i7/16/512

bamaster

So far so good. Today I downloaded another cumulative update.
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116908)

Wayne Orwig

Looks good.
I turned Hyper-V back on, which used to cause it to bomb. And I spent a lot of time with the Java software that used to bomb every 30 seconds. Never a glitch now.

And to think, the first week I had this thing there were so many glitches and BSOD reboots, I was convinced that the purchase was the biggest mistake of my life.

My SB didn't go into hibernate last night (set to 60 minutes). I've never had that happen before. I'm not even sure it went to sleep. I believe my battery was at about 50% around midnight. Woke up at 8 with the battery at 10%...

Deryl McCarty

downloaded and installed yesterday, no real problem. Stalled at 93% installation for about 10 minutes, but patience won out. Just left to have a long snack and when I came back, all was done. Did a "restart now" vice wait for a 3:29AM self start and no issues except one: I no longer have the 3-4 time per day endearing "driver failed and restarted" when cruising in Verge or Ars Technica or Paul Thurott. What am I gonna do with all these extra CPU and GPU cycles?

Nuspieds

Installed fine... reboot fine... then locked up (no BSOD just completely unresponsive). Hard reboot and it appears to be working fine.

No improvement on dock... still can't use two Mini DP to DP monitors (only one at a time). Still having USB issues.

SB i7/16/512
Yes, I know the Dock has given me a lot of trouble with my external monitors and now more frequently with my fingerprint reader after sleep. However, I have never completely lost one or both DP monitors (like you, they are mini to standard) permanently. At most, I have spent several hours in total to get things back completely to my settings (resolution, text size, etc.).

I always start with the basics: Undock, re-dock, power off/on monitors, disconnect/reconnect monitors, and even unplug the dock itself! Sometimes, of course, it takes several combinations/permutations of these techniques to finally get things going as they were again.

But when the above still doesn't work, I go down the path of disconnecting all monitors, then even switching the ports they are connected to, or trying to connect them directly to the SB, and also doing a hard reset. Again, sometimes it takes several combinations/permutations, but eventually I am successful.

Hope this helps to give you some ideas that you haven't tried yet because I know how frustrating it is not to have your external monitors usable.

Nuspieds

This morning when I woke the SB from sleep only its screen was on--but at least it was on! :)

As for the externals, I had to power off and back on; something I also had to do when I used a USB hub with my SP2. Still too early to tell if this is a long-lasting improvement, but let's hope so.

LX_CA

Another firmware update just dropped. Hope it fixes all outstanding issues.

Download and installed successfully for me.

I installed the update last night. Today the video driver crashed 15(!) times during a 80-minute presentation (VGA adaptor to projector). The same setup (with VGA projector) hadn't crashed once prior to this since I got the SB on October 26. [I had a lot of trouble with external monitor through mini DP to DP via the new Surface Dock, though.]

Niterider4

Similar experience for me. I installed the update last night and this morning, with the clipboard detached, my screen went black and wouldn't come back. Never happened before. Holding down the power button would cause the screen to flicker and go black again. 75 third year law students in a lecture hall watching me at the front of the lecture hall, struggling with my Surface Book and then finally having to give up and reboot. 5 minutes of awkward and embarrassing silence. Good times.