What's new

Solved Firmware update failure

adamik_22

Hello.
I've got this problem of firmware update failing on restart. I get message of "Please wait while we install a system update" but just for split second, then it goes blank and restarts two more times or it goes blank and I need to play with power button or power and volume up button to bring it back. On restart in device manager I can see 5 elements (in section "Firmware" - as on attached screenshot) with exclamation marks, all have code 14 which asks for restart to finish installation, but scenario repeats itself on restart. I've followed instructions of Microsoft team to do different type of restarts, and uninstalling drivers and manually installing them again, plus I've wiped clean windows with the "Reset this PC" feature, but still no joy. I've also check setupapi.dev log but can't find any failures beside:

MoveFile: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\SETB56D.tmp' to 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\RTKVHD64.sys' FAILED!

but maybe the log got wiped with windows reset.

Is there any other way to update that firmware, maybe through deployment kit?

I'll appreciate any input.

Attachments

• prtscn.jpg
    prtscn.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,182
OP
A

adamik_22

You can download the firmware and try it that way but I'm skeptical about your chances for success. still, must give it a shot.

Download the latest firmware and drivers for Surface devices (Surface)

Have you done a two button Shutdown? That can clear up lingering issues sometimes.

I've tried already with downloading and installing firmware manually and it did not work. Two buttons restart done few times, but not sure if doing it correctly as always end up in UEFI.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have Hyper-V enabled or Visual Studio installed? Or are you using a VHD on an SD Card? The error is from the Virtual Hard Disk Driver...

OP
A

adamik_22

Stop that too. I also had problems with updates, then I uninstalled all these antiviruses, then it updated successfully.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I've disabled it through group policy, but still no joy, the good thing is it seems to power down without a crash on restart but crashes on power up when "Please wait while we install a system update" appears, than restarts two more times and boots.

I got code 10 on those firmware errors after resetting Windows, but after installing firmware manually it shows code 14.

Any other suggestions?

OP
A

adamik_22

Do you have Hyper-V enabled or Visual Studio installed? Or are you using a VHD on an SD Card? The error is from the Virtual Hard Disk Driver...

It's freshly reset windows 10 and I did not install Visual Studio nor I can find it within programs and features. There is no SD card in the slot. And from the attached screen you can see it's not turned on. I'll check UEFI as well, but I don't recall an option like that in there.

Attachments

• features.jpg
    features.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 825

sinha.sandy

I've disabled it through group policy, but still no joy, the good thing is it seems to power down without a crash on restart but crashes on power up when "Please wait while we install a system update" appears, than restarts two more times and boots.

I got code 10 on those firmware errors after resetting Windows, but after installing firmware manually it shows code 14.

Any other suggestions?
You can do one thing is that download the full factory image from the Microsoft site and reset the device.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It's freshly reset windows 10 and I did not install Visual Studio nor I can find it within programs and features. There is no SD card in the slot. And from the attached screen you can see it's not turned on. I'll check UEFI as well, but I don't recall an option like that in there.
What version of Windows are you running? 1511 or 1607?

OP
A

adamik_22

You can do one thing is that download the full factory image from the Microsoft site and reset the device.

It was my plan to try when deplete all the option, and yes, it worked. I've done full wipe of the drive as well. Something terrifying happened and I'm not sure if it was suppose to; on updating firmware when third progress bar was filling up cpu started overheating and fan was working like mad and machine suddenly cut off. I couldn't have turned it on for next 5 minutes, longest 5 minutes ever, as this sp4's warranty is expired (bought it of ebay). When it finally started back up it finished remaining updates, going hot on the last one again :eek: but this time when it shut down it restarted straight back up. So, so far so good. Just doing normal updates now. Thanks everyone for input. I think I can close this thread as solved.