What's new

Firmware Update, October 24th - Problem?

deldalton

I restored my SP2 to its factory settings today because I wanted to create a clean recovery disk. When I downloaded all available Important Windows Updates I discovered that the firmware update, dated October 24th, had removed my wireless adapter so I was unable to connect to the internet. Additionally, I was unable to roll back the update so I had to restore the device again.

I've now installed all updates, except for the firmware update.

Can anyone else confirm that they've had problems with the firmware update? Has anyone been able to install it successfully without it causing any issues?

Rvacha

I've had problems, but I haven't flattened mine since the firmware update. Problems I've had since the update include Bluetooth bangs in device manager (alternating between one and another depending on whether the mouse was turned on!), intermittent Arc mouse connections, crashes at the moment it was woken up, and the HD audio driver decided that it would no longer allow the SP2 to sleep. I've fixed them all but at great cost in time. And Marvell still sucks.

OP
deldalton

deldalton

That's interesting. It definitely isn't a problem for everyone (as you've obviously pointed out but also because I suspect more people on this forum would have reported a problem).

I'll give the firmware update another shot this weekend. I'll let you know how I get on.

Someone on the Microsoft Community forum has suggested that they had experienced the same problem but after a reboot their wireless adapter reappeared.

I didn't have the patience and foolishly went straight for the restore, rather than attempting to reboot the device, so if I do have any other problems I'll leave restoring the device as a last resort.

CylonRaider

The problem I have with this update is, when I run system maintenance after I've installed it, it hangs and never completes. I have to stop system maintenance, then restart it. It completes, but then tells me that this Hardware update needs to be reinstalled. Not sure what system maintenance is actually doing to make it think this update is suddenly not present.

D1vad

That's interesting. It definitely isn't a problem for everyone (as you've obviously pointed out but also because I suspect more people on this forum would have reported a problem).

I'll give the firmware update another shot this weekend. I'll let you know how I get on.

Someone on the Microsoft Community forum has suggested that they had experienced the same problem but after a reboot their wireless adapter reappeared.

I didn't have the patience and foolishly went straight for the restore, rather than attempting to reboot the device, so if I do have any other problems I'll leave restoring the device as a last resort.

When ever doing this type of update, I always do a reboot, then do the firmware update, then a reboot, check for new updates, and a final reboot. This has always worked very well for me.

OP
deldalton

deldalton

When ever doing this type of update, I always do a reboot, then do the firmware update, then a reboot, check for new updates, and a final reboot. This has always worked very well for me.

I'll definitely make a habit of doing this going forward.

I've just installed the firmware update this evening. Once again, after the initial reboot, the wireless adapter disappeared. However, after performing a second reboot the adapter returned and I'm working away just fine.

neforce

I have the exact same problem. After updating the Firmware Update, my Wireless Adapter is corrupt, can't install it, and even not with the driver pack from the MS website. It sucks, because the only method is to restore my SurFace. I'm affraid to install future (firmware) updates, due to the problem that it probably appears again. What to do?!

freetail

WiFi Removed after Firmware Update

I restored my SP2 to its factory settings today because I wanted to create a clean recovery disk. When I downloaded all available Important Windows Updates I discovered that the firmware update, dated October 24th, had removed my wireless adapter so I was unable to connect to the internet. Additionally, I was unable to roll back the update so I had to restore the device again.

I've now installed all updates, except for the firmware update.

Can anyone else confirm that they've had problems with the firmware update? Has anyone been able to install it successfully without it causing any issues?

I've had exactly the same problem and mine isn't resolved by restarts or trying to install the driver manually either. I think the difference with you and me, compared to others, is that we have installed the update after refreshing / restoring the Surface Pro 2. Those who haven't done this don't appear to have the same issue.

MS... can you help? I have tried this 3 times now and won't now install the update until there's a fix. I can't waste anymore time on this, restoring my PC the whole time. It's taking me hours (days).

freetail

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. Ended up doing 3 restores and still couldn't resolved. However, it is now fixed!!!

Here's what to do:

1). Restore your PC

2). Manually update the Telemetry driver by:
•Downloading the drivers manually from the Microsoft Download Centre (Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: October 2013) and unzip it
•Go to your device manager and Select the device that's not working (Typcover Telemetry in this case) and click update driver.
•Then search on your PC for the package you downloaded to find the correct driver (in the Microsoft folder). It should successfully update and the yellow ! icon will disappear

3) RESTART - this is important at every step, I've found.

4) Create Recovery Point - this is also important at every step so you can go back in time if it fails. Better to have more than one in case one fails.
•Goto your start screen and start typing 'Recovery', then select 'Create Restore Point'

5) Start Installing your programmes. AFTER EACH ONE or SET of programmes, RESTART and CREATE RECOVERING POINT

6) Run Windows Update (Desktop Mode) and right click on the Firmware update to 'Hide' the update.

7) Then run the windows updates, RESTARTING AND CREATING RECOVERY POINTS with each install (DO NOT INSTALL THE FIRMWARE YET)

8) Once all your programmes and updates (excluding the firmware update) are installed:
•Goto Device Manager
•Select the Network Adaptors dropdown and pick the Marvel Wireless controller
•Choose Update Driver and manually install the driver from the package you downloaded at Step 2

9) RESTART / CREATE RESTORE POINT

10) Check for any other updates and RESTART / CREATE RESTORE POINT (just to be safe).

11) Go back to Windows Update (Desktop version) and click 'Restore Hidden Updates'
•Select the Firmware Update and choose Restore
•Windows update will run again and tell you that you have a firmware update available.
•Select the update and click - INSTALL AND RESTART

12) When the system restarts, everything should be updated with Wireless working and no ! or ? icons in your Device Manager.

If the firmware still fails

IF the firmware does fail, you've created lots of Restore Points along the way to go back in time and find a spot where the WiFi was working (it will recover). Best to run the Restore Points from the Modern UI:
•Goto Start Screen, and type 'RECOVERY'
•Select ADVANCE SET-UP.
•When the PC restarts in recovery mode, goto Advanced and select Restore Recovery Point

I've found this to be more reliable than doing it from the Desktop.

Turn Automatic Updates Off

Another thing I did was turn the Automatic Windows Updates off, requiring windows to download and ASK if I want to install any updates. May not be part of the solution, but at least you won't download an update without creating a restore point first!

Hope this helps. Please let me know how you get on with it. I've not found any easier solutions anywhere online and the issue only appears to be with those of us who downloaded the firmware AFTER doing a restore / refresh of our PCs first.