What's new

Firmware update today

Ed Tittel

I'm currently struggling with a BSOD upon Restart after installing the latest updates. The screen produces the error message PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES with an error code of 0x00000076. Error messages from Activity Center indicate the problem is with the HD5000 display driver. I'm running version 10.18.14.4156 of the HD Graphics 5000 driver, downloaded from Intel this morning. Prior to that I had been running 10.18.14.4029, which also caused the same symptoms. Any ideas or suggestions on where to go from here, and/or what HD5000 driver I *SHOULD* be running, would be greatly appreciated.
TIA for the help and ideas,
--Ed--

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently struggling with a BSOD upon Restart after installing the latest updates. The screen produces the error message PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES with an error code of 0x00000076. Error messages from Activity Center indicate the problem is with the HD5000 display driver. I'm running version 10.18.14.4156 of the HD Graphics 5000 driver, downloaded from Intel this morning. Prior to that I had been running 10.18.14.4029, which also caused the same symptoms. Any ideas or suggestions on where to go from here, and/or what HD5000 driver I *SHOULD* be running, would be greatly appreciated.
TIA for the help and ideas,
--Ed--
Uninstall the Intel Driver from Device Manager (deleting the Driver), reboot and allow Windows to install the Surface Optimized Version and to make sure it the latest run Windows Update.

Ed Tittel

Thanks, I'll try it later today or over the weekend, and post again here to report how it turns out, and what version shows up as a result.
--Ed--

Ed Tittel

Uninstalled, delete drivers, reboot, run "Update drivers" from inside DevMgr produced version 10.18.10.3960 dated 9/29/2014. Seems to work fine. Thanks for reminding me that Windows can sometimes fix its own driver issues, particularly when the hardware also comes from MS. Advice to live by. I can use this technique to test other problematic drivers. Thanks!
--Ed--

bleeman

On my i3 64gb sp3 and my i5 256gb sp3 my pen has partially stopped working after the update. The top button that opens OneNote works fine and it shows as paired under Bluetooth devices. However, I can't write, click, or do anything else with it. I tried each pen on the other Surface, uninstalled the pens and re-paired and no change. I know for a fact that the pen on the i5 was working this morning as it just so happened I used it on the New Your Times mini puzzle. It was about 10 minutes after that, that I saw the firmware update was available. I downloaded and installed and all looked good. About an hour later I went to use the pen in OneNote and nothing worked. When I got home tonight I tried it on my wife's i3 and it didn't work there either. I tried her pen on mine with no luck. I then checked her i3 and discovered that the update was automatically installed as I had forgotten I set hers up to auto update :-(. Not sure what to try now as I don't believe firmware updates can be backed out can they?

Bill

Maximus3D

I just updated mine and it seems to run smoother now than before, although i'm aware a placebo effect could cause this but it's not likely. I'm seeing a improvement in response time in DxO Optics Pro and Photoshop. But i also updated to the latest graphics drivers at the same time so maybe that has something to do with it.

/ Magnus

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am as well. "System Firmware Update - ‎3/‎27/‎2015 - Error 0x8024004c." Will see if it can update over the next couple of days.
According to some table on the Internet
0x8024004C WU_E_LOW_BATTERY . Try plugging in.