What's new

Firmware Update

mikedyce

Latest firmware for SP4 installed this morning (UK). Seemed to need an extra restart, otherwise everything ok so far.
All in all my Surface has given me no problems since day 1 (touch wood!). Same for Windows 10.

Mike007

All in all my Surface has given me no problems since day 1 (touch wood!). Same for Windows 10.

Glad to hear it.

Mine had a few issues to start with but after restoring with usb image and updating to the latest Intel HD driver it has been fantastic and now has none of the issues it had before.

gman713

Great news! I was staring at Apple's site looking at the MBP line but I really just wanted MS to fix the issues so I can enjoy my SP4!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obi-Wan says: This is not the update you're looking for.

Truth, every little bit helps but based on the description it's not the Sleep fixing, Battery life enhancing, Display and every other driver fixing, stability enhancing cure all. That's for another day.

January 2016 updates
The following update will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 1/27/2016” when you view your update history.
  • Surface Embedded Controller Firmware (v103.899.256.0) adds battery charging enhancements and thermal tuning.
Id expect maybe less aggressive turbo mode usage which might cut back heat generation, fan usage, and save a little battery. unknown what charging enhancements will address... presumably faster or more efficient charging but might address connected not charging conditions or change the ramp up/down of charging.
  • Surface Fingerprint Sensor driver update (v2.2.10.6) improves accuracy.
Wont impact the majority of users that aren't using it/don't have the fingerprint keyboard.
  • Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.9037.59) improves access point compatibility and throughput on 5Ghz networks.
Another round of wireless tweaking might be good for some and not so good for others, only time will tell.

Last edited:

gman713

I don't know about you guys, but battery life seems to be the same. I went from 100% to 92% in 15 minutes just browsing on the Edge browser for about 5 minutes and walked away. The battery indicator states I have 5 hours and 32 minutes remaining. That just doesn't seem right. I should be getting at least 7 hours.

gman713

So I really don't want to sound like I'm hating here, but I was watching a video on Amazon using the Edge browser. I walked away for about 15 minutes, came back and the video stopped and will not resume. I tried closing out the browser but it would not close. I also noticed that the screen did not go to sleep on battery when it is supposed to after 5 minutes. Has anyone noticed this behavior after the firmware update?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about you guys, but battery life seems to be the same. I went from 100% to 92% in 15 minutes just browsing on the Edge browser for about 5 minutes and walked away. The battery indicator states I have 5 hours and 32 minutes remaining. That just doesn't seem right. I should be getting at least 7 hours.

The time remaining indicator is absolutely worthless. Open up file explorer and it might change from 14 hours remaining to 30 minutes remaining. Best to ignore it.

I had mine in university today (not updated at all, waited to get classes out of the way prior to installing latest build), I always have battery saver on, as I don't see a reason not to have it on, and after an hour on OneNote was left with 94%

leeshor

It seems that the battery indicator is fouled up after the update but you can't put much stock in that anyway. It;s the total run time that counts.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems that the battery indicator is fouled up after the update but you can't put much stock in that anyway. It;s the total run time that counts.
He he, the other day I had 30% battery left and it was saying I had 12h 23min remaining. ;)