What's new

First Boot - Things to Do

mrspidernz

Hi,
So I'm a soon-to-be surface owner, with my 32GB Surface RT w/Touch Cover arriving in New Zealand within the next couple of weeks.
I've found this forum to be very interesting, but I'd just like to see if I can compile some information.

When you first turn it on, what are all the of the things that you should do? Any tips on what to do/what not to do? I want to try and get everything sorted on the first boot to try and avoid as many of the bugs as I can :).

Here's my list so far:
- First Boot Wizard (compulsory)
- Install all Windows RT updates, from 'not-metro' interface, desktop interface and windows store (any particular order?)
- Do something in IE with the 'do not track' to get rid of ads (anyone have a link to this?)
- Disable logging to increase speed
- Mount my SD card as an NTFS folder
- Enable speaker enhancements to increase volume
- Enable Touch Mode in Office

Tips:
- Don't bend the touch cover behind the device - apparently this increases wear on the cover? What's the fault rate like with these things? (If I need to get it replaced I need to import/send to the US, which will cost me money)
- I've heard about the magnets coming out of the bottom device - how many people have experienced this? Should I be careful with click/unclicking the cover?

Any other tips/list for first boot?

Thanks in advance.

Edits In Italics

Last edited:

vgjfelix

Sorry I only have questions but good post. How do you disable logging? also this folding over thing is a big question question for me because I do this a lot and I actually consider it an essential feature of the keyboard so that I can rest it freely on my lap on the sofa or in bed. If it breaks doing this it's not fit for purpose and needs replacing. Also my carriage returns don't seem to work on this post using my surface which is annoying.

TrentonT

Hi
As far as the todo list first and foremost a Microsoft Live account and email ( I know this should be a given but I have come accross a few Surface and Windows 8 users without one)
The touch cover I am into 3 weeks now with no issues folding back the cover to use the device as a pad. I do not force it flat against the back just sort of loop it out of the way.

Enjoy and I hope you have few issues.

Sorry I only have questions but good post. How do you disable logging?............

Sorry to hijack the thread, but in reply to the above quote, I copied this from XDA Developers.

Generally logging can cause some sluggishness at times because log files are constantly accessed and written to. You can turn these off if you wish. Search for gpedit.msc and launch it. Navigate to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and then select Windows Error Reporting in the left column of the Group Policy editor. Double-click Disable Logging in the Settings section of the Group Policy editor. Select Enable and then click OK to save the changes. Do the same for Disable Windows Error Reporting.

compnovo

Hi,
Tips:
- Don't bend the touch cover behind the device - apparently this increases wear on the cover? What's the fault rate like with these things? (If I need to get it replaced I need to import/send to the US, which will cost me money)
Thanks in advance.

I've read about problems with the touch cover but don't know what the fault rate is. I can say that I haven't had any problems with my black touch cover. I've had my Surface since Oct 26 and decided to not baby the cover because I want to know if it's going to fail while it's still under warranty. Of course, I don't abuse it, I just use it as intended.

kryten22uk

This whole "dont fold the cover back" thing is totally bemusing. It's quite an obvious requirement of a cover to fold onto the screen when device is off but flush/flat behind the screen when the device is in use as a tablet. It's quite absurd not to. Microsoft even tell you to do so on the website!

What do people do instead? Disconnect the cover when not using it to type (and hence have it lying around and lose it) or leave it limply getting in the way unfolded?

TrentonT

As far as the problem rate with the touch cover ripping issue and any issue for that MATTER
Everyone (or close) will report an issue. Almost anyone with no issues will stay quiet so it always looks like a small problem is very large.

I am not saying there are not problems it is after all new hardware and software so there are going to be faults,
I am just saying because of the way things work small pbroblems can look very large.

I have been and hope to continue to have no issues (so far) with my new Surface.

It is 2 weeks young today.

Last edited:

vgjfelix

Sorry to hijack the thread, but in reply to the above quote, I copied this from XDA Developers.

Generally logging can cause some sluggishness at times because log files are constantly accessed and written to. You can turn these off if you wish. Search for gpedit.msc and launch it. Navigate to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and then select Windows Error Reporting in the left column of the Group Policy editor. Double-click Disable Logging in the Settings section of the Group Policy editor. Select Enable and then click OK to save the changes. Do the same for Disable Windows Error Reporting.

How foolproof is this? I might do a video on it but only if you don't risk breaking stuff.

Cheers,

Felix

OP
M

mrspidernz

Hm, from my knowledge of Windows 8 in general, I don't think it would break anything... it would just mean if something (software related) was broken it may be a little harder to trace down, due to there being a lack of logs (although if that situation occurred, you could probably enable it again).
I don't know what sort of performance gains you'd get - I just read it somewhere, and I thought it would make sense.