What's new

First Impressions of SP2

BillJ

I have just about finished setting up my 256/8 gb SP2 that I got a little over an hour ago.

Initial impression:
Overall faster than SP1; faster boot, faster browsing; I am getting the best WiFi performance I have ever gotten with a PC on this device. (Whether Bluetooth is on or off does not matter...)
Screen and display: no significant difference from SP1. Colors may be better, but I can't tell.
Battery: Too soon to tell

Type cover 2: slight disappointment here! The keys do travel less than on the first gen, and I did come to like the feel of that keyboard. That said, I am typing this without any discernible decrease in speed or accuracy, and overall it feels comfortable. Even if I try to get interference with the touch pad during typing it doesn't happen.
There is a soft fiber backing on the keyboard which will still sop up spills on the counter, but does not feel like a flannel shirt.
The backlight has 4 levels of adjustment (off to bright) and is indeed very useful in low light conditions
Touchpad is the problem here- it is modeled after the Touch cover, with no moving parts. It will not allow (at least easily) complex commands. Right- and left-clicking is confirmed by an audible "boink" and not tactile feedback.

I am very pleased with the performance of this device, and I think it will serve me well professionally and personally.

oion

Type cover 2: slight disappointment here! The keys do travel less than on the first gen, and I did come to like the feel of that keyboard. That said, I am typing this without any discernible decrease in speed or accuracy, and overall it feels comfortable. Even if I try to get interference with the touch pad during typing it doesn't happen.
There is a soft fiber backing on the keyboard which will still sop up spills on the counter, but does not feel like a flannel shirt.
The backlight has 4 levels of adjustment (off to bright) and is indeed very useful in low light conditions
Touchpad is the problem here- it is modeled after the Touch cover, with no moving parts. It will not allow (at least easily) complex commands. Right- and left-clicking is confirmed by an audible "boink" and not tactile feedback.

I am very pleased with the performance of this device, and I think it will serve me well professionally and personally.

Okay, thanks for another comment about the keystroke feel. That's really all I'm concerned about, but I'll just have to wait until it's in my hands. Hopefully I'll adapt quickly enough since I need to type a whole lot in the coming months. And--oh good, there are multiple options for the keyboard backlighting; options are always good!

The trackpad is supposed to allow special gestures, but I don't think anyone's figured that out yet.

The Toy Man

I like the new power connector. It snapped right in.

And I like the new type KB. Much better to type on than the old one.

Toy Man - Still setting it up.

kristalsoldier

Okay, thanks for another comment about the keystroke feel. That's really all I'm concerned about, but I'll just have to wait until it's in my hands. Hopefully I'll adapt quickly enough since I need to type a whole lot in the coming months. And--oh good, there are multiple options for the keyboard backlighting; options are always good!

The trackpad is supposed to allow special gestures, but I don't think anyone's figured that out yet.

According to Jeff - and I would tend to agree with his (at this point) speculation - the "special gestures" at least on the Surface RT will require a firmware update. However, Jeff did report that they work just fine on the new machines.

I really do like the new Type Cover. Very comfortable...and I am very finicky about keyboards!

scadarick

I have pre ordered and got my email, just have not gone to pickup, been a bit sick over the weekend. I am looking forward to get the SP 2 256 g. My one question is, has anyone seen the new mouse with a curve or the power type cover. I hear that keyboard really helps the batt life out, even though it's a bit heavy, I am retired and work at home if need be, so the weight is not a problem. Now we wait and see who wins this month, surface pro or iPad 5. Personally...I use both..the iPad for my entertainment and SP 2 for work, paying bills and so on. When you have a 27 inch Mac and a 27 inch dell running my monster machine, with windows 8, you have to have a versatile setup to be really functional , since I have my skill sets in all of them...yes big time techie ...I admitted it!
Good luck to you all, and lease send in personal reviews, they are very important for me and others.

Last edited:

scadarick

well it got here and just getting my basic tools installed, my code app, roboform, office and a few others. I have plenty to text, but first impressions are great. I must say that the WiFi now is pegging the meter now, mostly runs around 58 megs DS, 5 megs US. that's on just 2 bars, need to setup my repeater again in my bedroom, its in the back of house, I keep all my equipment and racks in my home office, but it front of house. well guys its getting late and still need to get some dinner.

be back tomorrow with more details, I hope!

GOOD NIGHT ALL!