What's new

First MAJOR headache... iPhone to Surface tethering

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Lots of devices have problems when accessing a hotspot configured with a complex SSID. The Iphone unfortunatetly is missing the ability to set (just) the ssid, it uses your iphone name. Just pick something simple for your iphone name. Mine is Name-iPhone5. It works perfectly every time.

My normal name for it is kzPhone, which didn't work. Have also tried iPhone and iphone :( nothing's working, fails every damn time.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What generation is your iPhone and which version iOS? Is it using WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK? Can you attempt Open, does it connect then? Typically the limited connection stems from the inability of the Client to get an IP Address from the AP (which is the iPhone).

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

FIXED IT!

Like I said in my first post, I had heard you needed iTunes installed to use the USB connection for tethering. I did so, and it worked! Great... then I thought I'd just try the WiFi connection again and bingo! So, it seems the iPhone basically refuses to work unless you have damn iTunes installed.

Panic over :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It sound like Apple is using iTunes as their translation service....Apple to MS (in the early days QuickTime did this)

jeffskent

I tethered my iPhone to my Surface Pro several times in the last month or so, all without problems. I tethered in Utah, AZ, and Petaluma by hooking up the Apple 30 pin to usb cable from the Pro to the iPhone, just as I have done with other computers over the years. I know you say that Apple products "just work" but that has not been my experience with 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and numerous iPods, and an Apple TV. They require fiddling with just as most electronic stuff does.

My suggestion: First try to tether your iPhone to a Mac. If that works, tether it to a second Windows computer before you conclude that the Pro is at fault. It works fine for me, but the tethering process is picky. I downloaded several hundred MBs of podcasts in Utah, AZ, and CA recently with no issues. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

mervincm

FIXED IT!

Like I said in my first post, I had heard you needed iTunes installed to use the USB connection for tethering. I did so, and it worked! Great... then I thought I'd just try the WiFi connection again and bingo! So, it seems the iPhone basically refuses to work unless you have damn iTunes installed.

Panic over :)

glad to hear you got it working. Itunes is required to make it into a network card, but I have never hard Itunes installed on my Surface Pro.

PS did you upgrade it to the Windows 8.1 preview?

Padron26

That's kinda strange that it needed iTunes inorder for it to work, awesome...you got it going though.

don't have iTunes installed yet on the pro, but I tether a few gb every day for a few months now without a glitch.
I have iTunes on my girlfriends pro cause she usb tethers with that

Last edited:
OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

glad to hear you got it working. Itunes is required to make it into a network card, but I have never hard Itunes installed on my Surface Pro.

PS did you upgrade it to the Windows 8.1 preview?

I haven't no... still, not long to go now eh :)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! It was a strange one though. I kinda get the USB thing, but effectively 'blocking' the device over WiFi because iTunes wasn't installed? Very strange indeed. Well, it just goes to confirm my feelings I've had for years. Do love Apple for a lot they do... but iTunes!? Rubbish!

ltcbob11

As iTunes is an Apple product, I guess Apple things don't "just work". In this case the issue was with Apple not Microsoft. Lol

Padron26

I don't think that is the case though, I tether my iphone to my surface pro. And I don't have iTunes installed.
I can wifi tether using the Verizon app and the MyWi jailbreak app

I know I can't usb tether it cause I don't have iTunes.

ltcbob11

That's true. I also tether wirelessly with iPhone 4 and Surface Pro with no problems.

Personally, I think Apple products rock. I have a MacMini and replaced my MacBook Pro with Surface Pro. Also have iPad and iPhone. With that being said, I am not a fanboy. OS X, iOS, and Windows all have their strengths and weakness.