What's new

First MAJOR headache... iPhone to Surface tethering

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I don't think that is the case though, I tether my iphone to my surface pro. And I don't have iTunes installed.
I can wifi tether using the Verizon app and the MyWi jailbreak app

I know I can't usb tether it cause I don't have iTunes.

That's weird... but either way I'm glad it sorted the problem for me. For now at least.

Padron26

It is weird, I wonder if anyone else has had positive/negative experiences.

I actually just installed iTunes on my pro, and was tethering from my iPhone for the dl. The usb tethering doesn't seem to make any difference in speed.
The only thing that intrigues me is that my iPhone and Droid dna will be rite next to my pro and the WiFi signal will be down a bar or 2. It does fluctuate to full strength, when it does go to full strength it stays there. And doesn't drop back down a bar or 2.

JohnF

I have to laugh when I hear the "it just works" mantra from the Apple folks. The funny part is that they actually believe it. Sure, just like ANY OS, it just works if you don't want to do anything that it isn't preconfigured for. I just find it odd that when this person was having an issue that it must be the Surface that wasn't working correctly. It couldn't possibly be their beloved iPhone. Even thought tethering to my Windows Phone "just worked" as expected. Apple makes it difficult for anything but another Apple device to connect to and for some reason it's the other device's fault.

I had to use a Mac for the first time ever to test something for work and I had to spend days figuring out how to get things configured the way I needed it. It didn't "just work". As an example of this OS that's supposed to be so intuitive, the instructions say to "right click and select properties". There is no right button to click! How stupid was I to not know that it really meant you had to click the track pad with two fingers. How obvious! That was enough let me know I will never own a Mac. Someone on here said it has it's pros. I didn't see it.

Rant over.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

There's no need to be snide about it. Yes in this case iTunes (not necessarily the iPhone) was at fault, but in general, I've had great experiences with Apple equipment. I'm a massive, massive Microsoft fan, otherwise I wouldn't have bought my Surface! I've always had Windows PC's since 1997 and have never been tempted into an iMac or iPad...

In fact up until a few years ago I was very vocal about my frustration with iMac and OS X. Now my girlfriend has one, like most things, I've gotten use to it. And whilst I'd never buy one myself, you can't deny Apple do a lot right, surely? I bought an iPhone originally, really, because I loved the quality of the hardware... and I just fell in love with it, so have stuck to them every since.

Don't get me wrong though, if Microsoft release a Surface phone, I'll be all over it! At the end of the day I'm a technology fan, I don't really care who makes it... I just choose Microsoft as my favourite of a good bunch
starstruck.png

machistmo

FIXED IT!

Like I said in my first post, I had heard you needed iTunes installed to use the USB connection for tethering. I did so, and it worked! Great... then I thought I'd just try the WiFi connection again and bingo! So, it seems the iPhone basically refuses to work unless you have damn iTunes installed.

Panic over :)

Every single time I use iTunes I end up ready to punch a baby. Seriously, how the hell can Apple be so successful when their staple APP sucks so F'ing badly? Media Player is better, not much, but saying that in itself is enough of a bad thing isn't it?

Padron26

I know I love my electronics, but man. I've always had problems with iTunes. It makes me want to throw my I devices through the window. This week I've had to resync my whole damn iphone and ipad library cause iTunes doesn't recognize my devices... Wtf
This has happened a few times over the last couple months.

It's not like it takes a few min. I just watched the campaign again and laughed out loud when I read Punch a baby. ;)

malberttoo

FIXED IT!

Like I said in my first post, I had heard you needed iTunes installed to use the USB connection for tethering. I did so, and it worked! Great... then I thought I'd just try the WiFi connection again and bingo! So, it seems the iPhone basically refuses to work unless you have damn iTunes installed.

Panic over :)

NOT trying to rain on your parade, but this is not quite an accurate statement, "unless you have iTunes installed". I've never installed any Apple software on my Surface, and I tether it to my iPhone at least 3 or 4 times week, and have never had an issue.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

If you read the entire thread you'll notice you're not the first person to point this out, it's very strange. All I can say, for my case at least it was as simple as this...

iTunes not installed = Cannot tether
iTunes installed = Tethering works

What else can I say!