What's new

Fixing Missing WiFi Adapter Via Device Manager

wynand32

I've noticed some folks mentioning that they need to reboot to fix the missing WiFi adapter issue. However, I don't have to actually reboot to resolve it: I can just go into Control Panel, Device Manager, then scan for new hardware. Invariably, the WiFi adapter is rediscovered and my connection is restored. If it happened often enough, I'd create a shortcut to Device Manager (but it doesn't, for me at least).

Does this work for anyone else? Or do some machines literally require a reboot? Just curious, really...

ctitanic

You should not mess around with device manager that often. It's better to tweak a little bit your router configuration until a permanent fix is released.

pcom

You should not mess around with device manager that often. It's better to tweak a little bit your router configuration until a permanent fix is released.
I disagree. Having Device Manager rescan is far more benign for me than tweaking my routers and possibly messing with 25 other connections.

But, FWIW, I went back to the June wifi drivers yesterday and have had no problems waking from sleep.

dleuen

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. But I frequently have my SP3 in tablet mode so it's probably quicker to just reboot since I don't think there's a way to scan hardware without going to the desktop.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. But I frequently have my SP3 in tablet mode so it's probably quicker to just reboot since I don't think there's a way to scan hardware without going to the desktop.

My issue with rebooting is returning to wherever I was when the issue arises. Jumping to the desktop and refreshing devices has always been much easier and quicker for me.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Refreshing devices in Device Manager is really quite benign and shouldn't cause any problems. And I'm not sure what router configuration can be changed to resolve this particular issue... ?

dleuen

Refreshing devices in Device Manager is really quite benign and shouldn't cause any problems. And I'm not sure what router configuration can be changed to resolve this particular issue... ?

Yeah there is no way changing some router configuration will fix this. This bug is clearly in Windows where it does not even know the machine has a wifi adapter present.

Sanjay

I've noticed some folks mentioning that they need to reboot to fix the missing WiFi adapter issue. However, I don't have to actually reboot to resolve it: I can just go into Control Panel, Device Manager, then scan for new hardware. Invariably, the WiFi adapter is rediscovered and my connection is restored. If it happened often enough, I'd create a shortcut to Device Manager (but it doesn't, for me at least).

Does this work for anyone else? Or do some machines literally require a reboot? Just curious, really...
I used to reboot each time the WiFi and the Bluetooth mouse (Surface Edition) would stop working after waking from sleep. But now I always 'scan for new hardware' in the Device Manager and it works perfectly each time. It surely is better than having to shut down all my work and reboot the SP3. So thanks to whoever discovered this solution, although the issue is still an irritant, but it is far less frustrating than it was earlier.