What's new

Flash on Surface RT

Gerke

True, except printing, there are very few printers that will work, because of lack of drivers, although in 8.1 it should be better. For now I can't print, except for dumping it to a folder on my server from where a script will send it to my printer

oion

A pro: Windows RT is a walled garden OS; regular Windows viruses cannot run on WinRT unless they were recompiled in ARM architecture.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Don't discount the fact Windows RT can be managed by Windows InTune and if you already use Configuration Manager (SCCM) to manage the network, InTune integrates into a single pane with SCCM. Combined with Full Office Support, that the OS is much more resilient and resists malware better than any x86 platform and Android for that matter, RT also supports Side Loading of Modern UI Apps.

pallentx

Its actually quite a lot of printers - far more than are supported by airprint and other alternatives. I have 2 printers at home - an older laser and a newer HP injet. I have two printers at work. All of them worked without a hitch for me.

Gerke

I have a Samsung SCX3405W which won't work at home
I have at work 3 different Canon Multifunctionals which won't work
Most printers supported are the OLD ones and some epsons, because epson is one of the manufacturers who are willing to support RT ;)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been able to get most printers to at least print using the PCL 6 Class driver for the manufacturer, it may not support all of the bells and whistles but it prints and I can usually add the additional trays or duplexers.

pallentx

The printers I've had working are HP, Epson and Xerox. The HP is brand new, one Xerox is old and the other was also new. I have not tried Canon or Samsung. I didn't know Samsung made printers...