What's new

Flaw in keyboard?

cwy

Has anyone encountered the issue of the keyboard being too close to the bottom of the screen to the point that you have difficulty touching the taskbar on the screen?

This user seems to be the only person who ever mentioned this (at the 6-minute mark):

Also, has anyone tried using another, preferably cheaper keyboard such as any of the wireless keyboards out there made for desktop PC, many of which use a USB wireless transmitter? Since Surface Pro 3 has a USB port, does it work with any such wireless keyboard?

Knuck

Many have commented on this. It is something you get used to. If you really dislike it, the keyboard will still work flat and not obstruct access to the bottom of the screen.

Why would you consider a USB keyboard and use up the only USB slot? Wouldn't a Bluetooth keyboard make more sense?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Get a Bluetooth keyboard as an option if it is giving you trouble.

Or... Move your mouse to the border of the taskbar, and drag its size larger.

Or... Move the taskbar to the sides or top.

foghat

the only issue i had with it was it makes it difficult to swipe up from the bottom, but i just got used to swiping down from the top instead.

OP
C

cwy

Why would you consider a USB keyboard and use up the only USB slot? Wouldn't a Bluetooth keyboard make more sense?

I already have a USB wireless keyboard (Logitech K400), and I will use the SP3 mostly as a tablet anyway. Also, I really object to the keyboard costing $130, when my full-size desktop keyboard with LCD display & backlighting is only $70, and the Logitech K400 is only $40.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
whew I was afraid you uncovered a secret key sequence that opens worm holes in the time space continuum. :)

olimjj

Get a Bluetooth keyboard as an option if it is giving you trouble.

Or... Move your mouse to the border of the taskbar, and drag its size larger.

Or... Move the taskbar to the sides or top.

I agree with this solution.
However in the interest of Microsoft design coherence ( some Bluetooth keyboards don't have a compatible Surface look if that is important to you); you could use a Surface 1 or Surface 2 type keyboard with a Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard adapter bar if you have one( I know they have been discontinued). In addition,for those who have delayed the purchase of a Surface 3 keyboard and have the above mentioned devices it is a more ethically pleasing solution than connecting the 1,2 keyboard directly to the Surface 3 and looking like you purchased a belt 2 sizes too small. JMTC

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Or... Drop extra fold on keyboard down to allow some frequent taskbar touches, then fold back up for resumed comfort.

wertzius

How about the Sony PS3 wireless keyboard ? Looks very nice to me, I hate track pads and I dislike the price of the type cover.