What's new

focus frame at tiles

Dozer12JK

Hi since the update yesterday I got a focus frame around the top left tile.
nice for keyboard use but not so nice on the SP3.

OP
D

Dozer12JK

Wow! So much to learn. I haven't heard of a focus frame. What's that? Is it a tool that you can use?

see by your self. I did not draw the white and black rectangle and I can move it from tile to tile via the cursor keys.
upload_2014-8-13_16-35-41.png

FlySwatter

If I'm on the start menu, and press a direction key, it highlights (focus) a tile; and subsequently, each adjacent tile moving up, down, left, right. If I use the touch screen and swipe, the focus disappears. Does the focus disappear when you swipe it? If it does, I wonder if the keyboard is sending an "up" signal, or the tablet thinks it is?

Append: Have you rebooted, and/or re-attached your keyboard as a remediation attempt?

OP
D

Dozer12JK

If I'm on the start menu, and press a direction key, it highlights (focus) a tile; and subsequently, each adjacent tile moving up, down, left, right. If I use the touch screen and swipe, the focus disappears. Does the focus disappear when you swipe it? If it does, I wonder if the keyboard is sending an "up" signal, or the tablet thinks it is?

Append: Have you rebooted, and/or re-attached your keyboard as a remediation attempt?

exactly if I hit a space where no tile is or I just bump the screen a little up it is gone.
But going to the app view and back will show the frame again.
Also I can see it if I just press the Windows key.
I see the focus rectangle on any screen menu everywhere this is a cool feature if you use a keyboard but not if I do use touch.

Yes I turned it off and on again and even without keyboard it is present.
I found out that all users on the Surface have the same issue so it is a computer wide setting.

You can find a ton of articles if you search for focus rectangle remove but no solution.

FlySwatter

You say all users have this issue. Do you mean this literally? Mine does not have a focused tile unless I press a key.

FlySwatter

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I wish I had another suggestion (short of a refresh which seems like overkill for a problem as small as this).

olimjj

Hi since the update yesterday I got a focus frame around the top left tile.
nice for keyboard use but not so nice on the SP3.

If the screen cursor is on a tile, a focus frame will appear, if you then use the keyboard right arrow key, the focus frame will move and will appear in a white border as you have shown. If you move it back to the original position it will appear in white as in your illustration. If you then move the cursor via the keypad for example to an area outside of the Metro apps and press enter, the white border will disappear, replaced by another focus frame color. If you then move it back to the app and then outside again it will totally disappear. If depends on where the default position of the cursor is. If you don't want a focus frame keep it away from the apps. However I am still puzzled by why this is a problem? It is meant to show you what would be selected if you press enter and is not to my knowledge abnormal behavior. Please explain otherwise.