What's new

For those who are having WLAN Issues - (Possible Fix - Tested for the last 48 hours)

ctitanic

Frank, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think Connected Standby works. Well - let me rephrase that. I think Connected Standby is interfering with processes on the Surface and it's causing strange behavior. I took a look at my event log this morning and saw some really weird stuff - lots of system errors. First, I saw this log entry about 45 minutes after closing the type cover:

Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

Then, the next minute I saw a series of about 20+ log entries with this error over the course of the next hour:

The server {1EF75F33-893B-4E8F-9655-C3D602BA4897} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Two hours later, I got the following log entries that were a second apart:

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WSearch service.

The system is entering sleep.
Sleep Reason: Battery

Then I have to assume the unit went into hibernation. This morning I opened the type cover and had to press the power button to get it going. I saw the Surface logo as if I was booting up (maybe I was).

But I had rolled back to the older WLAN driver and did not experience slowdowns at all today. All I can say is something is amiss and needs to be addressed ASAP. Turning on Hyper-V is not a solution - besides I will not be able to run a VM on this unit if I do that.
At this point connected standby is not working properly because of the issues with the Wifi drivers and power sawing profiles. We have to give Microsoft some time to fix these issues.

ctitanic

Turning on Hyper-V is not a solution - besides I will not be able to run a VM on this unit if I do that.

Just to be clear, I'm not recommending to turn Hyper-V on. What I said was, to turn it on to change the power profile and turn it off once that's done.

ctitanic

This morning I opened the type cover and had to press the power button to get it going. I saw the Surface logo as if I was booting up (maybe I was).

If the Surface Pro is left in Standby for a long period of time (I think that it's more than 3 hours) it will go to hibernation. That's how it works.

pcom

It's been less than 24 hours but I thought I'd post a quick update -- I've let my tablet sleep 4 or 5 times and have always gotten WiFi back.

It's been a few days and I'm happy to report that I have had NO problems reconnecting after coming out of sleep since setting max performance on the adapter.

puma

Here is another trick that seems to help.

Enable Hyper-V to expose advanced power options settings, restart, open power options, click change plan settings, click advanced settings, expand wireless adapter power settings, change to max performance. Disable Hyper-V and restart. Now connects everytime and fixes connection speed display​
Just tried this, hopefully it works. Rolling back the driver temporarily worked for me. I made sure to hide the update with the updated driver as well.